Priming/painting Hd sheet metal

Old 01-30-03, 08:55 PM
STIMPY21
Visiting Guest
Priming/painting Hd sheet metal

I had to weld up a crack in my hd gas tank, , well I wanted to paint it another color anyway. Anybody got any info on how to start out right? or where to get some info. I can get the priming and sand ing no problem , its just the final paint coat and clear coating, what to use and any tips, that you may have.
Thanks
STIMPY21

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-03, 04:59 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello STIMPY21, would like to let you know that I am a house painter not a body shop guy. I do a lot of painting of small engine parts, ATV and go karts and this has led me to use some base coat/ clear coat auto finishes. On small items bc/cc is very easy to get great results. Larger areas like car hoods take a bit of technique that I havn't mastered yet as far as even laying on of the metallic bases. Solid colors in bc/cc are very easy. Assuming you have a rig suitable for auto finish or at least an HVLP after priming, wet sanding and cleaning the base coat goes on straight out of the can as does the clear coat. One thing to keep in mind since your tank is much like the things I paint is bc/cc isn't really fuel proof like good engine enamel. If you will use the hardener (highly recommended) in the clear coat, be careful when fueling and let the tank cure several days before fuel gets on it you should be very pleased with the job.....Mike

Old 02-04-03, 07:19 PM
STIMPY21
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I have painted some bike parts before, on dirt bikes I used to build. The honda xr's . Those you could get a good result with auto sandable primer and the 18.00 a can honda factory color spray paint. Small parts I would heat up in the oven while ma was away and then spray them and back in the oven to cook the paint on and let me tell you that made for some harf paint, almost like a plastic coating. The hd has a built up primer and who knows how many coats of paint. I bet there is a 1/16 inch of paint on the outside of the tank, but on the hidden side (2 piece tank) there is only a little thickness. I got my work cut out for me, I'm making my own rear fender , because I cant pay 3 or 4 hundred $ for something that you could tear in half like a beer can.The machine shop that does our work will roll the heel for me , all I have to do is cut the cheeks and weld/grind.Thanks for the info.
STIMPY21

Old 03-02-03, 06:11 PM
madmike
Visiting Guest
HD

Try your local vo-tec, chances are someone there would be willing to do it for the cost of the paint.