2001 xcf 440 fan and the oil light is on

Old 12-21-06, 10:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2001 xcf 440 fan and the oil light is on

i own a xcf 440 fan cooled and the oil light is on?

i check the oil and it was good, now its boggs down at 4000 rpm and wont move i will open it up and it wont go above 4000rpm and eventually it will move and run fine i changed the plugs there golden brown so thats good i put new fuel in, do you think it might be the oil pump, and i have no idea whats going on

please help

Old 12-22-06, 06:17 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Oil pump/filter. I would change the filter and if the light is still on plan on having the pump checked out. Definitely don't run it until it gets fixed. You'll only ruin the engine.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 12-22-06, 10:53 AM
where is the oil filter on this sled?
i checked the oil and it was half so thats probally why the lights on
would an oil filter make it bogg down like that?

Old 12-22-06, 07:41 PM
M
I took your original post to mean the oil was at the proper level. If it was low and you added oil, did the oil light go off then?

Any time you have an oil supply to the engine issue it can definitely make things tighter. Without enough oil on the connecting rod bearings, you get a heat build up and well as a gouging of the bearing surfaces. That in itself would cause a "bogging down", not only at the crank, but the cylinder walls as well.

If you have effectively eliminated the oil supply issue, there would be a long list of things that could cause the performance problems you've described. Heading the list would ignition and carb problems.

I just did a little research on your problem. Apparently that particular problem may have to do with the cooling system on the engine. As I understand it there are aftermarket remedies for that. .

Hope this helps,

Bob

Last edited by marbobj; 12-22-06 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-22-06, 11:26 PM
i didnt put oil in it today i will in the morning im sure that will solve that problem though do you think maybe it was to warm i think it was like 35' degree's yesterday the first two times i took it out it was like 15' degress's and it ran perfect also it will move eventually or if i slowly give it gas it gets to about 20 mph and it runs fine but when i can it it goes to about 4000 rpm and does'nt go any higher, even when its wide open

Old 12-23-06, 10:49 AM
M
I think we're on the same page now. The oil is for the injectalube/2stroke right? No filter on those normally. If the pump was messing up and not delivering the oil to the fuel mix, it would tear up everything in the engine. The slow down would be the piston drag on the cylinders and that wouldn't be pretty.

The oil light is probably for the two stroke oil level in the tank and nothing to do with the delivery pressure.

The bogging down is mentioned on a lot of other sites and the fix for it seems to be the aftermarket cooling accessory. It sounds like you have the same thing going on. With the different performance you've experienced, relative to the temperature, I think I would look into the cooling accessory.

Since it's a recent model, that shutoff may be built into the ignition control of it to avoid overheating the engine.

Good luck,

Be careful,

Bob

Old 12-23-06, 01:55 PM
Ok i put oil in and that solved that problem i took it out this morning and it ran good i didnt let it warm up though so maybe it ran good cause it was cold is there a picture of the ignition/cooling system online so i can get an idea of what im looking for

Old 12-23-06, 08:20 PM
M
Maybe I'm getting you confused ,sorry. I believe what you've described as your problem has to do with the ability of your stock cooling system to adequately cool and protect the engine if the outside temperature is too warm.

As you get into high rpms and greater throttle openings your snowmobile engine will generate more and more heat. If that heat reaches a certain threshold, it's considered to be too much for the engine to handle without damaging it. It may very well have an electronic control that works with the ignition to hold the engine at a certain performance level. It would probably involve ignition timing or if the engine had fuel injection it would work through a computer control (ECU) to limit the amount of fuel made available to the engine.

If this is the case on your sled, there would be a heat sensor and some other electronic hardware.

The aftermarket equipment that is available, to my understanding, will aid the cooling system in keeping the engine temperature down which would allow the engine to perform fully for you.

I would suggest calling a Polaris dealer and talk to their techs and see what they think about the problem and a resolution to it. I'm sure they are well aware of what's available.

Hope this helps,

Good luck,

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question