Electrical Problem

Old 07-18-03, 05:52 PM
ave8989
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Electrical Problem

I have a '81 Yamaha Seca 750 that is doing strange things with the headlight circuit. It first blew the fuse when I had the high-beam and the auxiliary light on one night. After I replaced it with the required fuse(10A), I no longer used the aux. lamp for fear of blowing the fuse again.

Worked for a while but I ended up without a headlight another night. This time the fuse was still good (not sure why) but the tangs that hold it in had gotten so hot they began to melt the plastic around them. I let it cool and made it home with a flickering light.

Now I'm worried about fixing the tangs and using another fuse since I may cause more damage than I want. My question is: How do I find out what is causing this? I've checked both lights, and traced any wires as far back as I can without any evidence of damage.

I have a multimeter but I dont want to check the current running through the circuit because of the 10A max on the meter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 01:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can check the circuit using the ohmmeter on your multimeter. Disconnect the light circuit and battery, and start checking for the short to ground. Don't apply voltage to the meter when using the ohm selection.

Old 07-21-03, 11:10 AM
ave8989
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I'll try that and let everyone know what I find.