ATV hasn't been cranked in 3 years???

Old 08-21-03, 02:05 AM
Question ATV hasn't been cranked in 3 years???

Hi,

Trying to help someone. 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220 ATV. It was cranked up and backed off the trailer and then turned off and pushed into a commercial storage rental unit. This was in July, 2000 and it hasn't been cranked, rode, driven, etc. since. It sat there for about 2 yrs./1 month with the same oil, gas, etc. . Nothing was drained and/or changed, it just sat there and the battery died.

It was then moved to a private metal storage shed at a home. The oil was drained, oil filter removed and the final gear oil (rear-end) was also drained. No oil, filter or gear oil was put back in it. It was left empty and still is empty, but does still have the same gas in the tank/carb. . It has sat like that for 1 more year, making it now at 3 yrs./1 month since it was ran.

My neighbor pulled the rope starter SLOWLY recently to see if it was locked up and said it turned fine. He wanted me to ask what steps he should take to get it going again.

It was rode very little, but regularly until it was placed in storage. The oil was clean when drained a year ago.

Thanks in advance, I will print off all the replies and give them to him in a couple days. Take care.

CoolBreeze

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-03, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Get all the old gas out; drain the tank and also remove and clean the carburetor float bowl(s). Put fresh oil in where required. Remove spark plug(s). Pour SMALL amount of oil into cylinder(s). Pull starter rope several times. Install new spark plug(s). Put fresh gas in tank. Install new battery (or charge existing one, but at that age new one probably better). Start 'er up.

Old 08-24-03, 09:34 PM
ATV not cranked in 3 yrs.

Thanks tow guy. I'll pass it on. Take care.

CoolBreeze

Old 09-16-03, 07:56 PM
tairingdownwall
Visiting Guest
also try rocking the bike back and forth in gear and pb blaster works good do everything gently are you could bust the rings and vales out