Motorcycle Handbar Repair

Old 10-29-03, 09:40 PM
CptnTexas
Visiting Guest
Question Motorcycle Handbar Repair

Spilled my 2001 ShadowSpirit 750 and the handbars are bent slightly out of whack. It is not terribly noticeable and does not seem to affect the ride of the bike. Am curious as to whether it is something that is important to get fixed and if so, whether or not it is a repair that I can do myself. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-03, 10:30 PM
mikehalker
Visiting Guest
It's not that big of a deal but I'd go ahead and fix it. Bars are cheap. You probably have a 7/8" bar on a Honda so make sure you get the right size so your controls will fit. The grips will be a bit difficult (the left one anyway) so you might want to consider a new set when you get the bars. Just tighten the clamp in an 'X' pattern so you get even torque on all bolts and you should be fine. Also, if you don't get the same rise and pull back your clutch cable might not reach so take your old ones with you to the shop so they can be measured if necessary. FYI, the grip glue that comes with the grips is pretty good but if you want to make sure they never move, wet the inside with gasoline and put them on quick, but make sure they're where you want them because they'll be there to stay.
Good Luck,
Mike

Old 11-26-03, 05:16 AM
Mobile Home Man
Visiting Guest
I've taken a pipe and put into the end of the bars b4.
You sometimes can pull and bend back into a desent shape.

However your bikes gona feel really strange off balance bars can really rip you a new 1.

Mainly the bar trick is used to get home. I would just buy a set of bars might keep ya off the pavement.