Go Kart Project

Old 11-15-03, 11:01 PM
faulkner153
Visiting Guest
Go Kart Project

Hello Everyone-

I'm new here, and Ive got a couple simple questions to start off. First, just to let you know, Im 14, and my dad and I are making a go kart (just a yard kart, not a racing one). We bought a really good kit that comes with pretty much everything we need, (a nice frame, wheels/tires, a drum brake...) except for an engine and a clutch. So we just bought a brand new 6.5 hp Briggs, that hasn't been delivered yet. My big question is how fast will the kart go with that engine on it? I know there are many variables, such as the size of the sprocket, type of tire, and so on. But I really just want a ball-park estimate. Anyone have an answer? Ok, second, I want to know about exhaust headers for the engine. I read somewhere online that replacing the muffler with a header can open up the engine a little bit and add some HP, and also make the engine louder (which to a muscle car guy like me sounds sweet!) So, thats all i really need to know, for now at least.....Thanks!

Old 11-16-03, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
Hello faulkner153!

Depending on the variables you mentioned, you can probably expect somewhere around 30 or 35 MPH. A header will help out noticeably. I have done a lot of go-kart tinkering, making them fast and so-on. It's a lot of fun. Let us know if we can help!

Have fun!

Old 11-16-03, 01:05 AM
faulkner153
Visiting Guest
very helpful post! thanks for the reply, keep em comin!

Old 11-19-03, 04:27 PM
faulkner153
Visiting Guest
How much hp will a header add?

Old 11-19-03, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It all depends on the header. There are too many variables to say just how much hp a header will add because headers are tuned differently. A straight pipe will increase power quite a bit...maybe a full horse.

Old 11-19-03, 11:15 PM
faulkner153
Visiting Guest
Ok Great! I've checked out a few go kart sites, (gokartsupply.com) and they only seem to have headers for 5hp B+S engines and mine is a 6.5. Will one of those headers work on my engine, or would it cause problems? thanks again for the help.

Old 11-19-03, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never tried a header on one of these OHV engines. I doubt it will hurt anything at all, but I don't know if it would fit.

Old 11-20-03, 10:16 PM
faulkner153
Visiting Guest
Ok Good news! well, good news, and mediocore news.... MY ENGINE CAME TODAY! and it appears the muffler is attatched to a right angled pipe that inserts VERTICALLY into the TOP of the engine as opposed to HORIZONTALLY into the SIDE. does this mean i will need a header that is that same 90 degree shape or what? also, is it true that replacing the muffler with a header will cause the engine to sort of burp flames (as it says at the bottom of this page)?? thanks!

Old 11-22-03, 01:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, I think you will be better off with a header with the required angle. It will allow you to see flames at times, but you probably won't see them unless it is dark. They claim on this site that a header will not affect how fast the engine is. This is incorrect. Open exhaust does increase engine performance. You could just cut the muffler off the pipe and add an extra 8 inches or so of pipe to the elbow.

Old 12-14-03, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a cart a little over 3 years ago. It was a regular yard cart nothing fancy. It had 10 inch wheels all the way around and a 5hp Briggs engine. My brother paced me on his Arctic Cat 4 wheeler and my top speed on the gravel road was right around 35 MPH. It sounds like you and your Dad are embarking on a very fun project. I wish I had kept mine a little longer and maybe my Son and I could have spent some time tinkering on it but I had a stupid moment and thought very briefly that I was Evil Kneivel. After 6 days in the hospital and 4 months of Rehab I was no longer interested in the thing. My Kids were standing there when it all happened and as I was leaving in the ambulance. I dont think my Son was interested anymore either.
Have fun and be careful.
Billy

Old 03-10-08, 07:43 AM
S
hey mate i am the exact same age as u and i am doing the same thing with my dad i was just curious where did u buy your package with most of the bits u used? are u using aany percific instructions if so which ones? or have u designed it write back scribit

p.s if we both are building we might as well offer eachother recomendations and tips!! Any 1 else no any helpfull stuff ie where to get parts or deigns !!

many thanks scribit

Old 03-10-08, 01:15 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, seeing as how this post is from 2003, he's 19 now and probably run that cart many miles.

Google for go kart parts and designs.

Old 09-28-10, 05:24 PM
G
I would say around 40 to 60 mph

Search this Thread

Ask a Question