how to gear alawnmower engine

Old 02-15-04, 11:11 AM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
Question how can I gear a lawnmower engine?

I have an idea on how to build a sturdy go-cart frame, but I'm stumped as to how to gear a 3.5 horse lawnmower engine to it. I want it to be rear drive. Any advice anyone? I'll probably go with a Briggs and Stratton.

Last edited by supersteve; 02-16-04 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-04, 05:21 PM
BikerTrash
Visiting Guest
I have the exact same problem. I have a 3.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine, and I wanted to know how I can get it to drive a rear axle. Can anyone help us?

Old 02-18-04, 08:53 AM
One possibility is getting a clutch for it, I believe Comet makes one, then chain drive to the axle....that is about the simplest way to do it I think.

Old 02-18-04, 11:31 AM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
So you're saying to side mount the engine? To do that you would have to remount the gas tank or build a new one so it doesn't stall out.

Old 02-18-04, 11:40 AM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
I'm a bicycle man myself. I know how to build pedal drive. It's simple. All you need is a couple of junk mountain bikes and a couple of chains, and a couple of old mountain bike rear wheels...

Old 02-18-04, 12:23 PM
BikerTrash
Visiting Guest
I don't even know what you guys are talking about. My problem is the lawnmower engine is bottom drive (ya know so it spins the blade). Somehow you gotta get that engine to drive an axle, and I was wondering if there was a simple way to do that. But it's all good. I think I've scored a free transfer case that I'm gonna go pick up in a few hours.

Old 02-18-04, 12:49 PM
oh sorry..didn't read well enough..lol...didn't catch they were lawnmower engines...(must need new glasses)...the only way to mount them to a gocart frame(that I know of or can think of) is using a lawnmower transmission as well...and then gearing your pulleys....I have been working on this alot lately as I am building racing lawnmowers...

You don't want to side mount that engine Steve, the oil needs to stay to the bottom so the pickup can distribute it...

If you can, for a go cart, find another 3.5 that is horizontal shaft and go to a Comet clutch and chain drive...

Hope this helps a bit...

Old 02-18-04, 04:01 PM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
Thanx dennis. That is exactly what I was trying to say. Side mounting them would be bad. Where could we acquire a horizontal shaft engine without paying a fortune on a new one? I'm from a small town and there aren't very many resources here.

But if all else fails, pedal drive is another option. It's simple and you can drive them at night. HeHeHeHe

Old 02-19-04, 08:44 AM
Steve....if you hit up some of the "backyard" mechanics, you will proabably find an abundance of horizontal shaft engines...typically 5-8 hp...I wouldn't pay any more than 300 bucks for a brand new one (Briggs)myself...so a used one should be cheap...heck...i have a brand new 5hp Honda on the shelf for 399cdn...

Back in regards to the question at hand...the horizontal is easy to rig up..vertical...well...once again...back to needing a tranny...

Pedal drive is safer for kids too...lol

Old 05-04-04, 09:01 AM
SuperDave
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem with a cart I built for the kids some time back. The solution is adding a right angle drive unit. They are relatively inexpensive and are good for about 3500 RPM. Boston Gear makes a good one. You need a 1 to 1 ratio with 1" input and output shafts. Normally, carts are geared 7 to 1 (thats clutch to tire). Do part of the gearing from the clutch to the right angle drive unit and the rest of the gearing from the gear unit to the rear axle. This will keep you below the 3500 RPM limit. The gear box will use about 1/3 to 1/2 HP and the rest will be transmitted to the rear axle. Keep in mind that with this configuration you can change the torque and speed to fit the rider.

Last edited by SuperDave; 05-04-04 at 09:26 AM.