Small Street Cycle Opinions

Old 04-01-04, 08:29 AM
Small Street Cycle Opinions

I haven't been on a bike in some 20 years and back then it was always dirt bikes on trails and accross farmlands. Having a mini mid life crisis, I want to get back on a 2 wheeler again. I am looking for opinions on new small 250 - 400cc street bikes [pros/cons]. I will be using it to commute 13 back road miles to the office on good weather days. Since I still have 2 kids in college upfront and maintenance cost will be a big factor in this toy.

Thanks for your responses.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-04, 04:48 AM
WFO
Can't really respond to an opinion on street bikes, other than to say stick with Japanese.
Just wanted to warn you that if you've been off bikes for twenty years, beware of water cooled two strokes. There have been so many technological advances over the last 20 years that 125cc bikes turn out 30 plus horsepower now. That's more than some of the 400cc air cooled bikes did in the 70's.
Just didn't want you to wheelie over backwards on your first day out.

Old 04-06-04, 09:48 AM
Thanks WFO, I plan on doing everything the ligit way. Have the dealership take me for my license and a refresher lesson along with street rules. Back in college when I totaled my car I borrowed my buddies cycle to get back and forth to class. It is cold in February here in Jersey and it bites when you have no protection from the elements. I guess wisdom has come with age.

Doug

Old 04-07-04, 10:43 PM
Depending on what 'style' you want.

Take a look at the Kawasaki EX250 (Ninja 250). It's cheap (brand new msrp is 2999, and used ones only a year or two old can be found for far less). Gets 70 mpg too.

Wouldn't worry about 2 strokes, as they are no longer street legal in the US, only find them on dirt bikes and imported race bikes now.

Old 04-08-04, 08:19 AM
Thanks Repliers, I was looking at the Ninja 250 when I posted my question. Well i think it is time to test drive and talk to a dealer and trust me I will hold on!!!

Old 04-08-04, 09:49 AM
Good luck finding any dealer that will let you test drive a new bike! If you find one, let me know, I want to test out the new 10R..

Old 04-08-04, 04:12 PM
Question

I have never bought a cycle. What do they do? Let you sit on it in the showroom and you decide from there? How do you know if the ride is right for you?

This is all new. I thought i would be looking this weekend for a good deal in the early season here in Jersey.

Further info would be great.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 04-08-04, 10:00 PM
Pretty much, the bikes in the showroom don't even have gas/oil in them. About the only times you get to test ride are:
Used bike dealers selling bikes on consignment.
Factory promo days (usually at large bike events, ie daytona bike week).
Private sellers that don't know any better.

Without a motorcycle endorsement on your license, you won't get to test ride at a dealer or promo event.

Old 04-16-04, 12:11 PM
I too have been looking to get back into riding (after only 7 years though, not 20). My last bike was a Yamaha Midnight Special 800.

Seems as if, unlike the old days (that's the '60s and '70s for me), you can't find many small street cruisers other than maybe the Honda Rebel 250 or the Kawasaki Vulcan 500. I have never liked any of the Ninja-style machines and find them very uncomfortable to ride (I'm 6'6" tall).

After a lot of looking around, I bought a new '03 Yamaha Maurader 800 and I really like it. Only $5300 out the door.

Old 04-16-04, 04:13 PM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
WOW... Wonder if I should feel special or something. I went in to a Victory Dealer (The OTHER American M/C) two weeks ago and he told me I could take any bike on the lot for a ride as long as I had my M/C License which of course I did. Just I was ready to go out, it started to downpour in typical Florida fashion.