2 cycle scooter engine not starting

Old 05-07-04, 01:49 PM
chaz_winter
Visiting Guest
2 cycle scooter engine not starting

Hello all.

I've got a 2 cycle scooter (brand unknown) and it is not starting. I know there is fuel flow from tank to carb, but beyond that I'm stumped. It was running fine yesterday and then all of a sudden it just sputtered to a stop. I was running it on nearly full choke to keep speed to a minimum as I was on my way to the store to buy new brake components. :-) I thought perhaps it might have been flooded, but still no luck today over 16 hours later.

What are your thoughts?

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-04, 01:59 PM
The first thing you need to check is your sparkplug. Most likely it is fouled with gas and possible oil burning over the years and or time you have curently had it. Replace the plug and see if your problem is fixed. If not, we will go from there. Make sure the air filter is clean if equipt. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-07-04, 04:13 PM
chaz_winter
Visiting Guest
step 2

Checked the plug and sure enough it was gummed up. Since choke was on full, chamber was kinda flooded as well. Bought new plug, let chamber dry out, and replaced the plug. I gave it a pull, got one pop and then back to crap.

When fueling up yesterday (first time since I purchased this used scooter), I had to simply guestimate the amount of oil to mix with the fuel. I decided to err in favor of more oil and mixed accordingly. Could too much oil in the fuel perhaps be the cause of my difficulties? The fuel oil mixture looks quite darkish.

What are your thoughts?

Charlie

Old 05-07-04, 07:44 PM
chaz_winter
Visiting Guest
Resolved

The scooter is running!! Whoo hoo! What a blast!

After allowing the chamber to dry out once again, I removed about half of the fuel and walked the scooter over to the nearest gas station. After diluting the existing mix, I turned the screw on the carb (idle adjust??) in tight and gave her a few pulls. Finally I got some whiteish smoke to come out the exhaust. I knew I almost had it. Loosened the little screw a bit (quarter turns as I learned today) and gave her a few more pulls while applying a bit of gas. Fired right up!

After the repairs (spark plug, sponge for air filter, brake line tension screw set, and seat post attachment part) the total cost of my scooter was still less than $60! Definately a worthy investment.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! That certainly was the place to begin.

Charlie

Old 05-07-04, 09:37 PM
Yes, too much oil in the mix can cause the engine to run too rich and then you would notice a major loss in power and your sparkplug would most likely get fouled. Usually in most 2cycles, the ratio is either 30:1 or 50:1
I would go with 50:1 on that scooter. That would mean that you would add 3 onces of 2cycle oil to 1 gallon of gas. I am glad you got it fixed.