Anyone know how to put a Motorcycle engine on a gokart????????

Old 06-15-04, 08:05 PM
soccer2963
Visiting Guest
Anyone know how to put a Motorcycle engine on a gokart????????

Hi, I just purchased an 83 Suzuki motorcycle with a 650cc in it. It is not running, i just bought it off of ebay. The guy said that with a can of starter fluid and some jumper cables he got the engine to run for a couple of secs, the backfire, then shut off. Anyone know what might be the problem? Second, i have bought this just to use the engine and tranny as a gokart transplant. Anyone know any plans for this? What all do i have to take off the bike to get it to work? I know a lot about cars, but not bikes, do i need the wiring harness? It is carbarated, so do all i need to do is just run a Hot wire to the coil?
Thanks,
Soccer

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-04, 08:16 PM
soccer2963
Visiting Guest
I was thinking of a large gokart, not a regular one, so i wouldnt kill my self on the first day, LOL. Also i have a 1984 Honda 70cc ATC engine, but i would rather have the 650 in it, but i think that hook ups would be aobut the same?

Old 06-21-04, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
First, you are talking about building something that has probably never been done before. My personal opinion is that if you "need" plans, then you are in over your head. If you want advice then a specific question is easier to answer.

Now, about your questions...

You don't really have to worry about a wiring harness. When you are done there will probably be almost no electrical system. You just need to make the spark plugs fire and close a switch to get power to the starter motor. Don't worry about charging the batter or anything else. Just the basics to make a motor run.

Keep in mind that you've got a motor that someone else has already given up on. There are many reasons why the engine will not work. Go through the basics; fuel, compression & ignition. All engines need the same things to make them run. I'd start with fuel and ignition since they cause the most trouble and are easiest to fix. If the engine only ran on ether than the fuel system probably needs work. I'd also check the timing and see if it's making a good spark.

Before you loose hope, 2 stroke motorcycle & 4 stroke Briggs & Stratton engines have been used on racing karts for many years. A 650 if quite large and will probably not give stellar performance, so don't spend too much money. PS; I've seen karts go 184 mph on less than half that much engine and I've gone over 100 on a Briggs & Stratton. Oh, don't forget that it really hurts when something goes wrong.

Old 06-23-04, 11:35 AM
NorCalWM
Visiting Guest
Go Cart and Go Kart Experts

May I suggest - www.rboutlaws.com/forum/index.php
These guys on this forum EAT, BREATHE and LIVE Go Karts - especially Extreme Outlaw Karts - but many of the same principles apply.

Another good spot for info and assistance and parts (not an advertisement here) ... but http://www.qrckarts.com is a great site ... they do all sorts of engine work and customization for me.

I'll help too !... let me know what I can do to help.
Thanks !

Old 06-23-04, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Another good kart racing site is www.4cycle.com . The home page is full of good advertisers where you can buy almost anything for a kart. The forum button is at the top of the home page.

Most talk on the site is about true racing karts. There is not much chat about "one of a kind" yard carts made from spare parts. They can tell you; at about what rpm a connecting rod will break, how to convert to methanol, how to soften your tires....

Most people are racing karts with 4 stroke "lawn mower" engines that started life as 5 hp side valve engines & 6 1/2 hp overhead valve engines (206cc). Also popular are 100cc and 125cc two stroke engines.

I don't think many people mess with larger displacement engines because they can get so much power out of a little engine and keep the weight way down. I think your 650cc would be good for an off road dune buggy cart, hill climber or something that is not designed for extreme speed, but can use the torque of your larger engine.

Old 06-24-04, 07:29 PM
soccer2963
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, ya, now im looking into a MINI sandrail type thing. I saw one on ebay, its pretty sweet.

Old 06-25-04, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Now you've just got to get that engine running.

Old 06-26-04, 08:36 PM
Actually it has been done before (and with a much more powerful engine).

http://168.9.26.28/GIXXERKART.wmv

Old 08-15-04, 09:31 AM
MBrooks
Visiting Guest
I'd look for a better motor to use. The 650 wouldn't be the ideal motor, and is probably damaged. The top end is probably in bad shape since the whole can of starting fluid was likely used. Starting fluid ins't easy on a motor, and is only a band-aid fix. I'd look for a 2 cycle motor from a smaller dirt bikeif you want a shifter cart. A 125, or 250 would be great, but a 400-500 could almost as easily be used. You will need a pipe for this motor, and will need to make it work in near original shape. A bike motor isn't the only motor o put on a high power cart, but is one of the easier ones. The best bet if an automatic is ok, is to look for a snowmobile setup. Sled motors almost always mount with a plate, and come with 95% of the required electronics mounted right on them. There are tons of very affordable motors around. You will need the motor, and the secondary clutch/chaincase. I'd avoid a free air motor, and stick with an axial fan, or better yet liquid cooled. You may be able to pick up a beat up sled, with a decent running motor for a steal.

Old 03-01-05, 01:49 PM
Moorsky
Visiting Guest
Thinking of a 750 on a dune buggy

I bought this vw dune buggy from my uncle for a couple hundred bucks but it needs a motor. All it is, is a floor pan of a vw bug with a roll cage welded on top. I'm looking at buying a yammaha 750 street bike engine for it but it's a shaft drive. Anyone know if I could convert it to chain or belt drive so I could get it to work? I thought about possibly mounting it sideways since the shaft makes a 90 degree. Any ideas how I could do this. Key word here is cheap and easy.

Old 03-01-05, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
I'm sure the engine installation can be done. Doing it cheap and easy is the hard part. I can't think of a way that will not require at least a fair bit of machining & welding. You are doing total custom installation so count yourself very lucky if you can find anything to work off the shelf.

Old 03-01-05, 04:02 PM
im building a racing lawnmower on the same principle, big engine and tranny going to a solid axle. had an engine but my dad doesnt want me to keep it if it don't work too soon. i'll help with what i can (the engine i am using will hopefully be a kawasaki 400) on a dynamark tractor

Old 03-01-05, 06:59 PM
Something to keep you motivated..

http://www.saiforce.com/toy/mwalker/gixxerkart.wmv

Old 03-03-05, 05:05 PM
there are quite a few other people that have posted that too. its better each time.

Old 03-09-05, 10:24 AM
skater_punk8
Visiting Guest
All you relly need it a live axel from a three wheeler or something like it with a sprocket the everything should work