Go kart help planning!!

Old 07-16-04, 02:45 PM
Anthony B
Visiting Guest
Go kart help planning!!

Hey guys & Gals of this forum I have a question about Kart building.....By the way my name is anthony. Anyways I have this old kohler 12 horse motor that was out of a old ride on lawn mower. It ways about 90 pounds. Me and my friend were thinking of some how slapping it in a go kart chassis of some sort. But what we have a problem with is clutch of some sort. Can I still use a centrifugal clutch or a torque converter? Thanx and I will tell how it goes!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-04, 10:33 AM
RoNi-Go
Visiting Guest
Anthony,
A centrifugal clutch is what they use for the little 5mph kiddie karts. You're going to need a torque converter for sure. For any other questions you can email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by GregH; 01-22-05 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-19-04, 03:04 PM
Anthony B
Visiting Guest
hey thanks roni but I plan to put about 30 horsepower afer me and my friend upgrade the motor thing like dual carbs, stroked, biiger cam, bigger valve, over size pistons. Will a torque conveter work for this?

Old 07-20-04, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
The big question is what kind of go-cart do you want? Something to play around the yard or a racing kart that screams.

If you want to really scream... The centrifugal clutch is used quite often on racing karts, but a torque converter is not. They are available in many configurations to handle different amounts of horsepower and can be adjusted to engage and a specific rpm. The big problem is that most racing centrifugal clutch drive systems have only one gear ratio. The clutch is set to engate at the engine's peak torque and rpm does the rest. The clutches often engage around 3'000+ rpm (close to the top rpm of your engine when stock) and hold tight as the engines rev up to 7'000 - 10'000 rpm. These clutches cost $70-$400. Versions are also available to handle the low power and rpm of your engine (when stock), and are commonly used on yard carts and cost about $20-$40.

Since you mentioned stroking the engine, puting in a cam, boring it out and installing larger valves... I'd start looking more at racing sites for advice. PS: I've gone over 100 on what started as a 5hp Briggs & Stratton flat head valve engine, and that is pretty easy to do. Racing karts with aerodynamic fairings hit the mid 180s on a local paved track. Be careful. Most racing is done with engines much smaller that what you have. You will have a real MONSTER if you do it right.

PSS: I'd switch the engine to run on methanol. It's a very cheap way to get lots of power. It mostly takes larger gets in the carb to feed more fuel and you can really crank the timing. The alcohol will give you an extra 30% more power than gas, it cools the engine very well to cylinder head and exhaust temps are no issue. Alohol is very easy to set up in an engine. It will run at mixtures that gas can not, so the engine is very forgiving of mixture adjustments. Methanol is now selling around $3.00 a gallon and you should purge it from the carb. & engine when not using it for several days. The alcohol is tough on aluminum engine blocks & stuff.

PSSS: Make sure you put in a billet connecting rod. Stock, cast rods are very risky above 7'000 rpm.

PSSSS: Make sure you mount the engine off to your side on the cart. If/when the engine blows the parts will fly perpendicular to the crank (especially up, like blowing the cylinder head off). Big chunks of engine really hurt.

Old 07-20-04, 11:27 PM
Anthony B
Visiting Guest
thanks pilot i guess i did forget this is going to be a off road cart. Lol and ive been around engines a lot and know that because my engine doesnt have a very rpm range that I should make lots of torque. But im still confused with the clutch thing. Does anybody have any idea about how much a centrifigual clutch can take? Are there styles that are stronger than others and engage at a very low rpm somewhere between 1500-2000 rpm. And another question does anybody know of a company that makes a supercharger or a turbo charger? and I was also thinking about adding a little nitrous to the motor. All I know is that im gonna need somethin special to handle this motor!!

Old 07-21-04, 03:32 AM
Group Moderator
Try the kart racing webpage www.4cycle.com The homepage has many links to manufacturers and retail sellers of anything go kart. Here are some clutch companies to look for: Buller, Horstman, Max-Torque, Tomar. At the top of the page you can click on "forum" and try posting some questions in the "general" category. From the 4Cycle home page there is a link to American Powersports who sells several different sizes of torque converters.

Old 07-26-04, 01:54 PM
Ramblincowboy05
Visiting Guest
Hey Anthony B.

Hey Anthony Ive been throwing around the same idea you have but I have an 18hp Briggs and Stratton that needs rebuilt. Problem is they dont make a centrifugal clutch thats heavy duty enough to handle the power over a certain RPM. Im looking at Torque Converters but Ive heard that when you start to go up a hill the Converter will shift to the higher gear but Im not sure cause Ive never used one before. This Kart will be an off road buggy but I doubt I will be climbing too many hills. Keep me posted with what your doing. Thanks.

Rick

Old 07-28-04, 08:40 PM
Anthony B
Visiting Guest
Hey Rick

Ive decided best bet would be a motorcycle motor with a transmission. I have plans for a dune buggy but it would cost a lot of money to build and frankly since I have no job i cant afford to build it. Rick since I think Im gonna be switching back to my buggy frame like I had orignally planned I would be more then happy to help you out with anything except the clutch. If you need anything just post it in this forum ok?

Old 07-29-04, 07:06 PM
Ramblincowboy05
Visiting Guest
Planning....

Hey

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I found out that Comet has a Torque Converter rated for a 18hp motor so that solves that problem. Like you said it can be pretty expensive unless you shop around or hang out in salvage yards which is what I plan on doing but I need to get the engine rebuilt. Hopefully when Im done its going to be kinda like a small lifted 4 seat monster truck. I dont know something unique These ideas come about when you get an engine for free cause you just cant have it sitting around now can we???

Rick

Old 07-29-04, 09:17 PM
Elwood
Visiting Guest
Cool

Torque Converter will shift into a higher gear when going up hills. Comet Torque Converter usully kick in at 2200 rpms. For a whole Torque Converter set by Comet, comes with belt, bolts, cover, and a manual telling how to put it in and how it works. There not cheap they cost about $235.

Old 07-30-04, 03:23 AM
Group Moderator
Have you looked at the torque converter (constantly variable transmission) from a gas powered golf cart? Here in NC old golf carts are about as common as junked cars. I know many people that have souped them up to rediculous power levels and that belt drive keeps working. You can adjust the rate it changes gears by a simple spring adjustment.

Old 08-01-04, 05:41 PM
Ramblincowboy05
Visiting Guest
Comet Torque Converters

Hey

Ive seen a 18hp Comet Torque Converter online (40 series I think) for $140. Unless it didnt come complete with everything. Im not sure but Im looking around....Ill keep you posted.

Old 01-22-05, 12:50 PM
turbo kid
Visiting Guest
go with motorcycle engine and tranny, i had a g-kart with a centrifugal clutch and we had so many problems with it, in about 2 years i burnt up about 4 of them. so be careful with what you chose

Old 02-17-05, 07:20 PM
Welder
Visiting Guest
ebay

Dont forget to check ebay! i just seen a comet T C going for $70 so far...