'83 110 3 wheeler won't start

Old 07-25-04, 08:15 PM
3wheels
Visiting Guest
Question '83 110 3 wheeler won't start

Hello,

I recently came across an '83 Honda 110 3 wheeler and purchased it. It has good compression and it will run if you push it and then pop it into gear. (Won't stay idling in neutral unless you crank the throttle up) If I take the spark plug (I put a new one in) out and pull the starter, you can't feel any gas coming out where the spark plug was. I have ordered a carburator kit to hopefully fix the problem. Is there anything else that I can do or is there something that I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
3wheels

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-04, 05:07 PM
InTheSticks
Visiting Guest
You're on the right track. The carb is definitely gunked up. When you rebuild it make sure you get the carb as clean as possible, including all the small passages for air/fuel. An ultrasonic cleaner is your best bet, but you may be able to CAREFULLY clean the passages by running small wire through them.

Old 07-26-04, 10:23 PM
3wheels
Visiting Guest
Thanks InTheSticks, I should be receiving the kit within the next couple of days. I will keep you informed of my progress.

3wheels

Old 08-07-04, 12:37 PM
3wheels
Visiting Guest
Unfortunately, putting on the new carb kit didn't do the trick. Still not able to pull start. Does anyone have any other ideas that might help me to be able to pull start the engine?

Thanks,
3wheels

Old 08-21-04, 11:01 AM
fireace
Visiting Guest
3 wheeler won`t start

hey older engines are a headache.but not impossible.check your spark.and spark timing.you said you have fuel and compression. check spark and your valve timing.there may even be a intake manifold leak some where.if none of that works.start back at your carb.

Old 09-01-04, 03:50 PM
WFO
When you said,

"If I take the spark plug (I put a new one in) out and pull the starter, you can't feel any gas coming out where the spark plug was."

did you mean you feel no pressure at all? If not, you could have bad rings or a head gasket leak. A compression tester would help. If you do have low compression, put a little oil in the spark plug hole, turn it over a few times, and check the compression again. If it goes up, the rings are probably bad (the oil helps the rings seal to the cylinder wall). If it doesn't change, you could have a head gasket leak. Neither are particullarly hard to fix.

Also, (stupid question), when you rebuilt the carb, did you set the pilot screw back to the original settings?

Old 09-10-04, 09:47 PM
valves

check the valve clearance and or might have a bent intake valve.

Old 08-13-05, 09:00 PM
motor wont start with a bent valve, and you probally wont be able to seel gas thrugh the sparkplug hole unless your running extremly rich. check for oil around the head gasket if you see oil then your gasket is bad. try playing with the idel adjustments start it (by pull starting) with starting fluid and set the carb adjustments so it will run an idel

Old 08-24-05, 09:51 PM
bobthefoodman
Visiting Guest
it sounds like its idling too slow, you should make sure you put the choke on when your starting it, (i usually have to choke my 86 fourtrax to get it started) and you should find out if the motor has a way of adjusting the low speed, or idle speed, if so (you should be able to find info on the carb in old manuals for them)

Old 09-25-05, 08:35 PM
3 wheeler

3wheels,

did you figure it out ??
what was it ?