How fast?

Old 08-22-04, 06:26 PM
stlstrtrcer
Visiting Guest
How fast?

How fast would a Kohler 7hp horizontal shaft engine go on a go-kart? i weight 150.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-04, 03:22 PM
MBrooks
Visiting Guest
Top speed is dependent on the max rpm of the motor, gearing, and tire diameter. It also depends on the wieght of the cart. With usable powerband I'd guestimate 30mph.

Old 08-26-04, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
The 30mph estimate is a good average number for a stock engine put on a Wal-Mart cart. I would not want to go much faster than that without good brakes. If you are modifying the engine and cart than the sky is the limit. At a local track I've seen "karts" top out in the mid 180's with much smaller engines, and a lot of aerodynamic and engine work. The drivers lay on their back and the karts are so low they scrape when hitting bumps (no suspension), and everything is faired to make is very aerodynamic. They don't have much acceleration, but they sure do have top end.

Old 01-22-05, 12:06 PM
turbo kid
Visiting Guest
i had a 6 hp carter go kart with a tecumsah and with my dad in it it would do almost 35 through our yard. make sure you got a roll cage on it. we also had 12 inch tires onit. they started out a knobby tires, but im a go go go type of kid.