Need tranny for go cart

Old 11-03-04, 04:47 PM
FruitNCrunch
Visiting Guest
Need tranny for go cart

well i have a 5.5 hp ohv b&s i believe it is and my younger brother had a go cart but the engine was stolen so im takin the frame and all lol. im plannin on buying a torque converter for it, as well as a live axel kit. my only prob is that i want to get a tranny for it so that i can put it in neutral and jumpstart when i need to (have TONS of horses in my town). reverse would b nice too. but so far the only thing that i have found is made by comet (of course lol) but it has been discontinued, but is still being sold for like $300. is there some alternative so this? does ne one no where i could find a tranny like that or even some other way to get at least forward and neutral like jimmy riggin it or somethin? thanks for the help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-04, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
There are plenty of centrifugal clutches that will let the engine run without the cart moving. By the time you put a real transmission & live axel on an old cart frame... I'd rather just take my money and buy an old 4 wheeler.

Old 11-05-04, 07:26 AM
FruitNCrunch
Visiting Guest
i need neutral so that i can be able to coast down a hill then throw it in drive and start the motor w/ out havin to stop and get up and start the motor by pullin it and ish.

Old 11-05-04, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Good luck finding what you are looking for.

I'd start looking at motorcycle or 4 wheeler's for a transmission. It will take some work but those are about the only things I can think of that might have a small transmission and manual clutch.

You could put electric start on the engine. Either get a running electric start engine or find a dead old one and steal/borrow the starter and flywheel.

Old 11-09-04, 03:57 PM
FruitNCrunch
Visiting Guest
well i have another motor that came has a starter, would that work? how do i hook it up? and id need a battery for that huh?