Help me please, I need to make a gasket/moved to the motorcycle forum

Old 11-03-04, 08:03 PM
FAVahalik
Visiting Guest
Help me please, I need to make a gasket

I have a motorcycle carburetor that I am making a new gasket for. The gasket seals the gas bowl to the carb. I have ordered the cork gasket material from doityourself. I have read that the cork needs to be treated with some kind of liquid to make impermeable to gasoline. What in the world can I soak it in to do this. ANY help would be so much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-04, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure I would use cork. Plain fiber gasket material would be my choice. Can get it at any parts store and would probably stand up to the gas; check the package label. Also easier to make the gasket out of than cork.

Old 11-04-04, 07:42 AM
no cork for carb

Yeah, just use the black stuff
Cork might work for valve covers or oil pans
But for the carbs I have always used the "fiber material" sheets the tow guy is talking about
He's also right it's easier (I've done both)
I don't remember exactly but I think the gas and the cork don't do to well

Old 11-04-04, 06:01 PM
FAVahalik
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your info on cork and gasoline

I appreciate the response. I picked the cork, because I erroneously thought that I had to by a dozen of the fiber gasket sheets. Dumb, now that I think about it. You mentioned buying gasket material from a parts place. Were you referring to an auto supply place. Most of the ones I've been to are hard pressed to get an auto gasket for a new vehicle. This one is for an OLD
(1978) 38 mm Mikuni carb that was part of a drag bike build-up for a then new 1978 HD Sportster. I'm trying to resurect it and finding that parts that old are almost impossible to find. For instance, the rear brake uses a cable that activates brake shoes! Try finding that cable. Anyway, I have ordered some fibre treated gasket material to try and make my own gasket. It is a gasket that goes between the carb and the fuel bowl. Thanks again!

Old 11-04-04, 06:05 PM
FAVahalik
Visiting Guest
I hope this gets to both people who were kind enough to respond

I appreciate the response. I picked the cork, because I erroneously thought that I had to by a dozen of the fiber gasket sheets. Dumb, now that I think about it. You mentioned buying gasket material from a parts place. Were you referring to an auto supply place. Most of the ones I've been to are hard pressed to get an auto gasket for a new vehicle. This one is for an OLD
(1978) 38 mm Mikuni carb that was part of a drag bike build-up for a then new 1978 HD Sportster. I'm trying to resurect it and finding that parts that old are almost impossible to find. For instance, the rear brake uses a cable that activates brake shoes! Try finding that cable. Anyway, I have ordered some fibre treated gasket material to try and make my own gasket. It is a gasket that goes between the carb and the fuel bowl. Thanks again!

Old 11-04-04, 06:09 PM
FAVahalik
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your info on cork and gasoline

Thanks to all!

Old 11-04-04, 07:40 PM
Your welcome
Good luck on your project
Sounds like fun!