trickle charge battery

Old 12-13-04, 07:25 PM
trickle charge battery

i purchased a schumacher 2 -6 amp 6and12 volt battery charger for his motorcycle. it doesn't say whether or not he can leave it run all the time or not ,it just says it doesn't shut off. is it made to keep it warm and not too hot? i bought it at autozone and they said this was what i wanted for a motorcycle for the winter.hes not riding it this winter. its in storage. appreciate any help. i have a car charger but it is a 10/30/50 amp actually more of a jumpstarter.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-04, 03:19 AM
Group Moderator
If you live where it's cold and you're not going to use the motorcycle this winter I'd take the battery out and bring it inside to keep it warm. Then I would use the charger on the 2 amp setting for a few hours once a month.

Make sure you check the water level in the battery.

Old 12-14-04, 04:40 AM
I agree, take the battery inside and charge every month. NEVER charge a battery while it's still connected to the motorcycle. Use the 2.0amp/12V setting. Don't forget to drain those carbs if your letting your bike set over the winter. Sean

Old 12-17-04, 09:36 AM
Vermonta
Visiting Guest
Even battery maintainers, which charge at less than 1 amp cannot be left constantly on a motorcycle battery without killing it.
Pilot Dane hit the nail on the head with his advice.