2-cycle engine cooked?

Old 01-10-05, 09:48 AM
donaha
Visiting Guest
Red face 2-cycle engine cooked?

After 2 hours of snothrowing (Ariens 722 with Tecumseh HSK 600-870 2 cycle engine) it stopped and I could not re-start it I realized that I had forgotten to add the oil to the gasoline. The question is: is the engine "cooked" or can it be fixed?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-05, 01:58 PM
You will probably know pretty quickly with a compression check. After which I would visit the Ariens website, and find their tech support number. I don't have it handy or I would post it, but ask for Al. He has been a great help to me.

Old 01-10-05, 05:57 PM
I am amazed that you got 2 hours running time with no oil (unless there was premix still in the tank prior) Anyway, not real sure about Tecumseh in particular, but in general, 2 cycle engines are very rebuildable. You would almost certainly looking at a new, oversized piston and rings, wrist pin and bearings. (this repair would also include boring out the cylinder to fit the new piston & rings) More extensive damages would include connecting rod, crank bearings and possibly a crank pin, which would involve rebuilding of the crank shaft. (if Tecumseh's cranks are rebuildable). Answer to your question about it being fixable, probably yes. Would it be worth the cost of repair? That would depend on the extent of damage verses the cost of a replacement engine. Either case it should be much cheaper then replacing the snow blower.
A compression test on a 2 cycle engine will tell you nothing more then you already know. You already admitted that you forgot to premix the gas, so you can be assured it won't pass a compression test and a compression test will not point out any extent of damages. First step I would do is look at the spark plug. If there is any fusion of particles on the plug or signs of melting aluminum then you might have burned a hold in your piston. If this happens then you can expect some lower end damage from the metal particles getting in around the crank bearing. Ultimately, you would need to remove the head and cylinder to do a visual inspection. 2 cycle engines are relatively simple to dismantle for a visual inspection. So if you have or have a friend with mechanical ability, you might want to pick up a service manual on this particular engine and perform the initial inspection yourself to determine if you should consider paying for a repair.

Nelson

Last edited by Elso; 01-10-05 at 06:23 PM.