cant get yamaha blaster to start! no spark?

Old 01-17-05, 12:48 PM
bbb05
Visiting Guest
cant get yamaha blaster to start! no spark?

alright. i just bought a 91 blaster and b4 i even tried to start it i put in new reeds and rebuilt the carb and installed an oil pump block off kit. well now i am not getting any spark. the quad sat for 4 years in a shed so i pulled off the flywheel and the stator was rusted, i cleaned it really good and then i the boot on the coil pulled right off. well i put it back on and im still not getting spark. how do i test the coil to see if its good? and also when i remove the oil tank do i need to connect those 2 wires that i pull off? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
I think you typed that the boot came off the end of the spark plug wire. Make sure that the spark plug wire is still attached to the coil. Inside the rubber spark plug boot make sure that the metal spring/clip that makes contact with the spark plug is still attached to the wire in the core of the spark plug wire.

Make sure you have the proper air gap between the coil and flywheel, hopefully someone will post the correct spacing. For a start space the coil off the flywheel with one or two business cards.

Make sure that the coil is not grounded (on/off switch, kill switch...).

I don't know about the two wires from the oil tank but I assume they are for a low oil warning. I do not know if that engine has a low oil shut down, if so that may be why you are not getting a spark.

Old 01-17-05, 05:54 PM
bbb05
Visiting Guest
the boot did come off.it screws into the spark plug wire i guess. i screwed it back in all the way so it should be connected to the core of the wire. im not sure how to test it? if i kick it over and put a test light to the power wire going to the coil should it light up? also the stator fits inside the flywheel. its like a big circle and there is no adjustment on it. but its deffinately got some magnetic power to it now, i almost didnt get it on, it kept pullin it away from me. i think the cleaning helped it. but im concerned about the coil and the oil pump assemply. i read the instructions on the block off kit and it doesnt say anything about it. when the oil tank is empty it does shut off the engine though. but im not sure of how that works?

Old 01-18-05, 04:59 PM
bbb05
Visiting Guest
alright, well i got it all back together and in to the point it should run. well i kicked and kicked nad kicked nad it just kept flooding. even tried starting fluid. then i checked the reeds wich are brand new i might add. then i swapped out the main jet for a smaller one, and nothing. i pulled it behind my other 4wheeler and nothing. well i pulled the plug out, screwed the plug boot farther in adn i had spark. not the best but i had some. so i put it back together . pulled it out and no spark. so i think its in the coil. probably that plug boot that pulled off. not sure but i need a new one anyway. so im gettin one off ebay. what do you think?

Old 01-21-05, 08:20 PM
blaster

did you get the flywheel key back in the keyway. if not your timing will be off. you can cut the very end of the coil wire and put the screw the cap back on, if you cut the wire back, touch your test light to the wire, it should light. if not you are not getting power to the coil.

Old 01-22-05, 01:36 PM
bbb05
Visiting Guest
im getting soo frustrated. alright. i got a brand new coil. i knew that was part fo the problem atleast, then i got a new run, off handlebar switch because they are known for going bad. well i kick it over and hold the plug against the head and i get a spark, then i kick it again, another spark, then again, and another, and then nothing for a long long time. im soo confused. i flywheel is in the keyway and all the way in and the nuts is tight. i dont really have equipment to test current coming out of the wires or anything and i also dont have the money to pay someone to do it. i have no idea. what can it be? thanks

Old 01-23-05, 07:46 AM
blaster

installed an oil pump block off kit.
what did the kit say to do with the wires /? you have to pu them together or something, or take them apart, check those wires.
I remember I had trouble with that when I blocked it off.

Old 02-14-05, 10:17 PM
jdah11
Visiting Guest
t.o.r.s.

make sure your t.o.r.s.(throttle override system) wires are connected to your t.o.r.s. on top of your carb or if you dont have a t.o.r.s. on there then splice the two wires together or you will not get constant spark,sometimes you'll get spark and sometimes you wont,if thats not the problem then make sure your ignition wires are plugged into your ignition.
hope this helps.