battery safety question

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-26-05, 06:28 PM
wilber01
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
battery safety question

My child is using 6 volt DC up to 24 volt DC to hook up to a motor. He isn't using a switch. He simply touchs the wire to the batteries. I am concerned that he could get an electrical burn or worse. Especially if water is around. He is not careful and the parent supervising is not keeping a watchful eye. What are the risks?
 
  #2  
Old 01-26-05, 07:39 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 10,162
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
wilber01,

The most serious risk is that if something were to short, there could either be an electrical fire or worse, the battery could explode.
A battery that is shorted has the potential to be a bomb.
 
  #3  
Old 01-30-05, 07:00 PM
wilber01
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Would a switch protect against this?

Another option that they are looking at is attaching plugs to the wires for the battery and the motor then, plug it in to make the motor turn on. They will be sitting right next to the battery.

Thanks!
 
  #4  
Old 01-30-05, 07:51 PM
E
Member
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 36
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personal, I would discourage playing around with batteries (especialy if you are talking about an automotive/motorcyle type). Greg is absolutly right about the potenial "bomb".

But if you are experimenting with this sort of battery, please, please use a fuse to avoid and explosive shorts.

Nelson (Elso)
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question