86 fourtrax starter problem

Old 01-29-05, 07:26 AM
A
allisd17
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 86 fourtrax starter problem

have 86 fourtrax 350hd in excellent shape. the problem i have is that when i go to start the bike the starter sometimes just spins without engaging , similar to a car starter with a bad selinoid. the problem is 10 times worse when sub zero temps. when normal condtions i usually have to stab the starter button 3 to 5 times to get it to engage. we took starter out and tested on bench and it seemed to spin fine. spline end was a little worn but not bad. starter reduction gear appeared perfect and gear on end of shaft leading to flywheel appeared perfect also. cant understand how whole system works because it seems everything would be engaged all the time. someone told us starter reduction gear had a bendix type clutch that spun out and engaged during starting but that is not the case. the starter reduction gear is all one piece.
any help would be apprecieated
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-05, 05:04 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello

How a typical Honda starter clutch works is your flywheel gear (mounted behind your clutch) is a free spinning in one direction only. It engages by means of rollers and ramps and is strictly a friction connection when the starter spins. When the starter turns the flywheel, these rollers move outward on their ramps to press against the inside of the clutch housing. What is happening is the rollers (possibly called "barrels") get a flat spot on them. If the flat spot is in the position to make contact with the clutch housing then they will slip and thus, starter spins with no engaging.

You are correct; Honda does not use a bendix type of starter. You will need to remove and disassemble the clutch basket to get to the starter clutch area to find these rollers.

Hope this helps

Nelson (Elso)