Suggestions for 1st motorcycle

Old 02-06-05, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for 1st motorcycle

About 20+ years ago, my wife had a Honda 550 with Windjammer. It had enough power for us, was quiet, and road smoother than my car. We're thinking about getting a brace of motorcycles for short cruises and touring. She's 5'5" and I'm 6'3". She said the 550 was just a tad too heavy for her. I'd ride her brother's Suzy 750 w/Windjammer and it was a bear to pick up as well. When I search the web sites of the Big 4 Japanese makers, their sizes jump from 250cc to 650cc. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice cruiser that could handle Ohio back roads and the xway?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-05, 03:09 PM
Whatever happened to Hondas 350,450,500 and 600. The 600 Pacific Coast is a nice sleek looking bike. Good luck.

Old 02-06-05, 05:00 PM
Suggestion

I realize this is bigger than you are seeking, but I am all of 5'9" and ride a Harley Super Dynaglide. I started with a Kawasaki 750, and worked up in about 3 years. I found no problems with weight until I started riding the larger bikes. As far as lifting one by one's self, I find it easier to back up to the bike, and lift it behind the back. (You may be familiar with that method). Now, I can lift a bike that is over 5 times my own body weight. It's tough, but I can do it. Plus, there is usually help around if needed. (And yes, it's happened to me where I needed it). I hope this helps you decide on your delema. I say go for what you want, but be safe. Always remember the MSF Rider Safety Courses. They are good.

Old 02-09-05, 05:35 AM
S
Honda used to make, or perhaps still does a VLX600. It was a V twin cruiser that sat real low to the ground. Perfect for a first bike/cruiser and I'm sure you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Old 02-11-05, 06:19 PM
chuck_zc
Visiting Guest
My friend had good experiences with the Yamaha V-Star. My friend is about 5'5" 130lb and I'm 6'3 240lb and I was as comfortable driving the bike as he was. Lots of power,great looking bike and sensibly priced.