Tiller motor

Old 02-08-05, 02:40 PM
Rajivr4
Visiting Guest
Tiller motor

could i use a garden tiller motor to power my go cart. I had an idea cuz i was in lowes and they had this 6hp ohv motor on a tiller.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-05, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Anything is possible...

Most tillers I've seen have had vertical shaft engines but a horizontal shaft engine is easier to use on a go cart. With a horizontal shaft engine you put a centrifugal clutch on the crankshaft, a sprocket on the rear axel, wrap chain around...ba-da bing...go cart.

With a vertical shaft engine you've got the problem of converting your vertical power to horizontal. I've seen Peerless transmissions (from a riding lawn mower) used but they generally need additional gearing to get the cart up to a fun speed. Mounting the engine & gearbox and connecting the two increases the difficulty.

Old 02-13-05, 07:56 PM
Rajivr4
Visiting Guest
what about a blower motor off of one of those leave blowers you strap on your back

Old 02-17-05, 01:39 PM
diagnosticmonke
Visiting Guest
Tiller Engines Make Great Kart Horse power

Absolutely ! Roto-tiller engines make great kart engines. Thats all we run on our dirt karts. The old briggs & Strattons primarily because they have crankshaft bearings (single & dual) , They are extremely durable, the carbs can be bored and re jetted to burn alcohol and with the right recipe can easily achieve 28 plus horse power.