Best grade gasoline for riding mower

Old 03-18-05, 12:01 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best grade gasoline for riding mower

I am soon to be the proud owner of a big riding mower with a Kohler V Twin 25 hp engine. I want to keep this engine running at peak performance, and minimumize wear. My question is,

"Is there a difference in a riding mower's engine performance between 87 and 93 octane? I would like to use 93 because it's cleaner ... right?"

"Is 93 octane a good or bad decision?"

Old 03-18-05, 05:22 AM
S
its a great decision!

Old 03-18-05, 12:02 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As stated in Kohler's service manuals, you should use 90 octane or higher. I say...since compression ratio has a direct effect on combustion of fuel, it is not necessary to use anything above 87 octane in "factory" small engines since they typically have a low compression ratio. The higher the octane the sooner it fires due to its lower flash point. In other words, you will find no noticeable gain using a 93 octane fuel. Rather, you might actually find more carbon build-up in the combustion chamber due to the fuel firing before the precise ideal time between the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke. If the fuel fires too soon you will leave behind a carbon trail that cannot escape via the exhaust valve.

Old 03-20-05, 05:21 PM
Octane is the resistance to burn. It does NOT make H.P. but prevents preignition & detonation in high compression engines. As Puey states, the higher the octane in an engine that doesn't need it will carbon up because it burns slower & cooler. Just run regular pump gas & with regular service, It'll last for years

Search this Thread

Ask a Question