Lawnmower Suspension Lift

Old 03-31-05, 07:52 PM
tripleup05
Visiting Guest
Lawnmower Suspension Lift

Hello. Me and my buds are buildin us up an old craftsman. Probably early 90's I think. The thing is though, we're actually lifting our lawnmower! I've been researching racing lawnmower, but I cant quite figure out how the clutch/transmission works. Ofcourse we dont want a lifted lawnmore to go 50mph, but we do want more than stock. My question is how do are racing lawnmower's transmissions set up. Do they have an actual clutch like a car, or are they gas-and-go like a gokart w/ a centrifigul clutch, or do they use a regular lawnmore transmission? And if they use a regular lawnmower transmission, do they just stick it in a gear and stay there or what? I know this seems like a lot, but any help would be great! My friend has aquired a Peerless 5-speed transmission. I'm not exactly sure what model Peerless it is, but are they good trannys? (My friend broke the pully off of the orginal with a hammer. He got impatient while my dad was lookin for our puller) Anyways, thanks again for any help, and recomendations for tranny/clutch would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 02:55 AM
i too have also been doing alot of research. They use the tractor transmission with the tractor clutch as well. They just put a bigger pulley on the sprocket and a smaller one on the transmission.ill help with wut i can.

Old 04-02-05, 05:34 AM
how are you guys going to lift this tractor? i have thought about doing this as well but havent come up with a way to do the lift part.

Old 04-04-05, 08:21 PM
tripleup05
Visiting Guest
I'll get some pics if I can figure out how to attach them. So far we only the back done. We did it by using welding a vertical piece of metal to back of the frame(pointing down) and welded two plates at the end of the spring. the plate on top of the spring was then welded to the vertical piece of metal, and on the bottom plate of the spring, we added a small piece to attach the transmission too. That is on both sides, and I think its gonna be about a foot lift total. I hope that makes since, and if it doesnt atleast the pics will when i get them. My friend who is big into rock crawling wants to fabricate a whole floating axle for the front. We'll see how that goes. If we cant make that work then we'll just use the same pivot design as it has, we'll just use some metal to space the axle and frame to make it level with the rear. Thanks for your help, and good luck with your project too