snowmobile eninge in go-kart

Old 05-19-05, 04:55 AM
Camtotheeron
Visiting Guest
snowmobile eninge in go-kart

i just got a '79 snowmobile engine to put into my 2 seater go-kart i was wandering if anyone had any clue how to do this

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 01:25 PM
bigboystoys
Visiting Guest
well its pretty simple you set it up exactly the same way it is in the sled and there is a drive sproket that has a chain or belt to drive the tracks instead of running that to the tracks you run it to the axle any problems you run in to feel free to ask i helped my buddy build a kart with his 89 polaris as the donor

Old 05-23-05, 05:39 PM
rotax340ccman
Visiting Guest
snowmobile engine on kart

here you go guys. its all good and crazy fast. o yea fun too.

Old 07-28-05, 05:09 AM
grtechguy
Visiting Guest
How do you convert from the belt (snowmobile default) to a chain (common atv/gokart axl;e)?

or is there an axle that will accept the snowmobile belt?

Old 07-28-05, 05:15 PM
crazybiker51
Visiting Guest
using a secondary clutch, at the moment i dont have one for my engine, any one know of another way? that would be excellent.

Old 07-29-05, 10:35 PM
I just seen one of these the other days, and they used a belt to the axle. a vbelt pulley is what it looked like, maybe from farm n fleet.

sporty

Old 07-31-05, 07:43 PM
crazybiker51
Visiting Guest
so just a simple V-belt straight off the primary clutch will work? today i thought for an hour, on how to make a shaft with a pully on it, and on the same shaft have a sprocket, then the chain goes to a sprocket on the axel but i guess just a simply pully on the axel will work fine, haha.
Thanks

Old 08-09-05, 01:55 PM
grtechguy
Visiting Guest
What axles are available (From donors?) that can handle the snowmobile engine power? I'm looking for something as simple as possible.

Old 08-21-05, 05:02 AM
DanCrisLeach
Visiting Guest
If you are looking for something real fast. I would suggest building a setup like the one in the picture (someone posted a link earlier. That has an idler shaft with the original pulley designed for the clutch on the sled engine.

If I understood the discussion right... You are considering running a belt straight form the engines pulley clutch to a plain Jane pulley on the axle. I seriously doubt this will work. The orginal pulley/clutch on you engine is designed to change it's size with RPM. If you don't have a pulley that can absorb that "pull", It may either rip your engine off its mounts, or rip your axle out from under you. However, I am only guessing at this. I have built plenty of snowmobiles but never tried eliminating the secondary pully for a plain pulley). If someone else has tried it and say it will work, You may want to listen to them but my guess are usually right. Keep in mind that if you don't utilize both original pulleys it won't shift the way it was design and will be considerably slower. If you want to do it right and want it to go real fast, mimic that picture. That was a nice setup.

On another note. Single cylinder, two stoke, air cooled snowmobile engines are not designed to run in warm weather. People "cook em" all the time. Old ski doo engines seemed particularly prone to this. If you know what you are doing you can do it though. Don't run the fuel mixture too lean. It will cause a high combustion temp and the air cooled system can't dissapate that much heat. On sleds we would take the cover off if we had to run em on a warm day. Make sure it has plenty of air and possibly you could build an air duct to force air into the fan.

Hope this stuff helps,
Dan

Old 12-21-10, 07:19 PM
rotax340ccman picure

Dude! could you please post that picture again from forum #3 or e-mail it to me at XXXXXXXXXXXX
I'm trying to find a good way as well to mount my 800cc rotax motor to my go cart for the summer, and be able to put it back in the sled when the snow flies!

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-22-10 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Removed Email...5 y/o thread, members no longer active
Old 12-21-10, 07:24 PM
could you send that picture to me at XXXXXXXXXXXX? or re-post it possibly... it was commented on as being exactly what I 'm looking to build and would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-22-10 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Removed Email...5 y/o thread, members no longer active
Old 12-30-10, 12:25 PM
If interested

Phoenix23,

First time posting. I just ran across this post from google and thought i would see if you were still working on this project. I am doing the same thing and could use some collaboration. i have some ideas to share.

Don

Old 01-02-11, 09:57 PM
To answer your question i have no idea, but their are multiple go kart race tracks in So Cal and obviously they would need someone to work on them. I would start there.

Old 01-04-11, 02:59 PM
Still Interrested

Don,
I'm as far as having an engine, and a bunch of idea's. Trying to figure out what would work the best as far as design ideas, suspension, and of course the whole drive train thing. I have the resources to build just about anything, just waiting for that perfect design to come along. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos to get ideas. If you type in go-cart with snowmobile engine, you'll get tons of results. My biggest concern is modifying the engine so it doesn't get hot. So far I've been thinking, forced air, a large radiator, fan of some sort?? Maybe re-jetting??? Let me know what you think, I'd be glad to share ideas with you throughout our projects.

Phoenix23