Tachometer Troubles

Old 06-19-05, 10:24 PM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
Tachometer Troubles

I have an 84 Honda Shadow VT700. On a long road trip, I started noticing my tach bar jumping back and forth from 4 to O. Most of the time, it isn't working now. On rare occasions, it will jump up for about 5 seconds, and drop back down. When the tach isn't working, neither is my temperature gauge. Any ideas as to what might be going on here?

I added a windshield to my bike and didn't seem to have much selection as far as what fits around those front gauges, headlight, and such. Great in the winter because it blocks most air. Horrible for summer, way too hot. We slipped it off for now, but does anyone know if I could find something smaller, just enough to quell some of the "body blast" of interstate riding? The ones that fit on the smaller Rebels won't fit around the gauages, etc. It has to be a handlebar mount, and I have found NO SUCH WINDOW.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-05, 09:15 AM
does it jump perhaps when you hit a bump? if so its obvious that you have a loose or bad connection. many of these minor electrical problems can be delt with and troubleshooted with a good manual from a dealer. it will say to check fuses and all connections. start there first.

Old 06-28-05, 02:31 PM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I bought a Clymer manual. Looks like I may have to remove the tank, etc. to follow the connection. I already checked next to the tach. I don't recall what makes it jump up and down. Whatever it is, doesn't make it work for very long when it does connect.

Thanks again.