Tecumseh governor removal?

Old 06-24-05, 10:52 PM
wr0x2
Visiting Guest
Tecumseh governor removal?

My friend has a go-kart with the 6.0hp version of this engine. How would we remove the governor? I have looked on the tecumseh website for a service manual of this particular motor but there doesn't seem to be one available.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-05, 09:02 AM
what are you trying to take it off for? just to have it off or is this a disassembly for the whole engine?

Old 06-25-05, 10:50 AM
wr0x2
Visiting Guest
We want to take it in order to run the engine at higher RPM. I know that this can shorten the life of the motor.

Old 06-25-05, 12:49 PM
i dont know much about tecumseh engines but most engines have a screw somewhere on the gov. that stops the throttle linkage from going any higher (higher RPM) possibly remove this screw. or, if not, then do like i did for a while on my g-kart and run a string from the govener to the seat or somwhere where it is easily accessed, that way it seems like a normal engine, then when you race somebody, at the end u pull that string to give it FULL throttle. also, when/if you do use the string idea, dont hold it open for more then about 7-10 seconds, this is very hard on a motor, this will help to save your engine life.

Old 08-18-05, 08:32 AM
TractorRacer05
Visiting Guest
Theres a spring between the throttle control and the govener, remove this and replace it with a peice of wire. I di tis on my go cart and it has more power and goes faster.

Old 08-29-05, 05:37 PM
Guys, what the hell are you all talking about?

Take of the shrouding that covers the pull start cable. You will probably see what is called a wind vane governer. The way this governs is by the wind given off by the flywheel spining. Just take it off. I take it off all engines I build for either a kart or minibike.

Jim

Old 08-30-05, 01:39 PM
TractorRacer05
Visiting Guest
What if its an internal mechanicle governer.

Old 08-30-05, 01:49 PM
THEN you disconnect the linkage, but most of the cheap engines now-a-days use wind vane governers because they are cheap... two pieces of stamped sheet metal fitted together.

Jim

Old 08-30-05, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by kartracer55
Guys, what the hell are you all talking about?

Take of the shrouding that covers the pull start cable. You will probably see what is called a wind vane governer. The way this governs is by the wind given off by the flywheel spining. Just take it off. I take it off all engines I build for either a kart or minibike.

Jim
aaahhhh hhaaaa! like i said, i dont know anything about techumsahs. mine is a B&S so its probably different. thanks for the knowledge!!!

Old 08-30-05, 09:30 PM
Most all briggs engines from the Magnetron (solid state ignition, no points) era have wind vane governers. Earlier ones have mechanical governers.

Jim

Old 08-30-05, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by TractorRacer05
Theres a spring between the throttle control and the govener, remove this and replace it with a peice of wire. I di tis on my go cart and it has more power and goes faster.

It wont have any more power, but it will rev a little higher. All those briggs/tecumseh engines are facotry governed to 3600 rpm (except a few specialty engines) The higher the hp, the more low end torque they are gunna have, but the revs will all be the same. A 5hp will rev higher than a 10hp single cylinder because of less "rotational" mass, its just that the 10 will have more torque. Keep in mind though, Engines loose torque as RPMS increase.

Jim

Old 11-25-05, 03:33 PM
disasterous
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mancoowner
i dont know much about tecumseh engines but most engines have a screw somewhere on the gov. that stops the throttle linkage from going any higher (higher RPM) possibly remove this screw. or, if not, then do like i did for a while on my g-kart and run a string from the govener to the seat or somwhere where it is easily accessed, that way it seems like a normal engine, then when you race somebody, at the end u pull that string to give it FULL throttle. also, when/if you do use the string idea, dont hold it open for more then about 7-10 seconds, this is very hard on a motor, this will help to save your engine life.
how do you run a string from the govenor. where do you tie the string.?

Old 11-26-05, 03:31 PM
needfor speed
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

[QUOTE=wr0x2]My friend has a go-kart with the 6.0hp version of this engine. How would we remove the governor? I have looked on the tecumseh website for a service manual of this particular motor but there doesn't seem to be one available.[/QUOTE
Ok I have a tecumseh engine a 6.5 version.First, take off the air filter ,next if you have someone with you tell them to open the gokart to full speed be careful make sure the engines off if you look closely there is a screw thatsblocking it from going any faster if you get a neatol nose plyers and twist its to the left it should go faster I just did it today and man it went 28mph now it goes 40mph its blazing fast From dan

Old 11-26-05, 11:16 PM
the governor is a long arm, on the back of the engine, if its a horizontal crank, briggs is at the bottom. that screw just does minor adjustments.....