cross between go kart and dune buggy

Old 07-08-05, 07:55 AM
cross between go kart and dune buggy

I am starting to build a cross between a go kart and a dune buggy and will hopefully have somewhere in the woods of a 600cc engine. There are only a couple question that i have. Is it smarter to have the engine beside or behind me? How should i go about doing front suspension and being able to steer it? Would it be smarter for a single wheel drive or a solid axle? I am more favoring toward the solid axle. This will be used as an offroader and doing alot of street time as well seeing how i only live on 2 acres.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 09:06 AM
i have a couple of questions for you. when you say "beside" you. do you mean like building a single seater with the engine right next to you? if so then definitally put it behind you. save your ears. put it in the middle though so it is balanced and not heavier on one side. Secondly, is this going to be a full suspension ride or just the back suspended? if full suspension, just go with the common A-arm with some bushings and a shock. it would also be cool and different if you were to try a solid axle front. i'm not saying 4 WD i'm saying a solid axle but have it suspended on both sides with some miniture springs on some miniture spring perches. i'm just throwin ideas out here. that would be cool tho for the front because then you could like, flex your front axle on stuff. enough of that. solid axle for the rear would be the smart choise. the only reason i would go with a single wheel would be easier availability and low cost or if you would be doing alot of road driving, which wouldn't really hurt too much, yes it wears down tires but, not enough to notice. solid axle rear would be the choice. especially for an offroader. full time traction at both wheels is a big must in the off road world. just my $.02.

Old 07-08-05, 11:15 AM
So for the front you are talking about leaf spring suspension, but where would i scavenge leaf spring suspension for the front end? Yes it will be a single seater. It will have full suspension. I am pretty sure i am taking the swing arm suspension off a fourwheeler for the rear suspension. Would it be smarter for leaf spring or a-arm suspensoin for the front?

Old 07-08-05, 02:06 PM
i was kind of kidding about the straight axle front. steal some parts off of a 4-wheeler or get a VW bug to rip up and build on.

Old 07-08-05, 02:26 PM
ok. thanks. does anyone else have any ideas. I sure was hoping that you were kidding about the straight axle. That would be hard to fabricate.

Old 07-09-05, 11:12 AM
There is also one other thing i want to try and get out of this gokart. I wanna be able to have reverse and the engine i am using will be a 440ltd kawasaki off a road bike.

Old 07-09-05, 10:25 PM
bring some buddies along when you go riding. tell them if they want to ride then they have to be your reverse!

Old 07-11-05, 07:08 PM
That is probably the only way im gonna get reverse. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.