Changing Motorcycle Handlebars!?

Old 07-23-05, 01:06 PM
CacheMan
Visiting Guest
Question Changing Motorcycle Handlebars!?

I want to change my 94 Harley Sportster handlebars back to the original set but I have never done it before. Is there anything I need to be careful of or special tools? I wasnt sure about the brake lines, etc. Is there a site that tells me what to do and what to look out for? Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-05, 03:24 PM
handlebars

i owned a 1998 sportster,

You did not mention if it was a custom or not, mine just had 4 bolts to remove to take the handle bars off, and taking off the levers and brake cyclinder, the lines are usually just zip tied on , but older bikes hard to say.

sporty

Old 07-31-05, 09:47 AM
CacheMan
Visiting Guest
The bike is the standard Sportster XLH 883. I see the 4 hex screws to mount which should be fairly easy. I was really concerned about the levers and grips and how they actually mount. I think those were hex as well. Is is that simple, just loosen the hex on grip areas and remove?

Old 11-03-05, 08:49 PM
CacheMan
Visiting Guest
Changing Motorcycle Handlebars!?

Is it just that easy? No calibration, no manipulation. Just remove what I can and attach new handlebars?

Old 11-10-05, 10:29 PM
kdsmgb
Visiting Guest
MC Handlebars

Hey - I just joined up today. Maybe you've gone ahead and done the job. But just in case, yes, it can be that easy. Questions are whether or not your lines (brake, clutch, throttle) are the needed length, and then what direction you're going. If the prior owner put on higher bars, s/he may have bought extended lines. You may end up with too much line. Looks bad and who needs the extra travel, but they may function if they don't kink. If you are going back to stock, the dealer s/b able to get you the stock lines readily. But check with a local shop on the brake lines. Sometimes you can get nice stainless steel lines made to whatever length you need, for about the same as stock. I did. -KS