Motorcycles Sitting up for 1 year

Old 08-22-05, 11:09 AM
josephldaniell
Visiting Guest
Motorcycles Sitting up for 1 year

I am new mechanic and would like to do my own work. How difficult is it to clean out and get running two motorcycles that have been sitting up for 1 year? They ran great before being garaged but the owner never got around to riding them and now they won't run.

They are 1993 CBR 900 RR's. If it is something like cleaning carbs, cleaning lines, and charging batteries I could do this.

Can anyone help me with the "steps" in getting these bikes cleaned out?

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-05, 01:37 PM
I am going through the same thing only mine has been sitting for alteast 2 years and is a kawasaki 440 ltd.

Old 08-23-05, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by josephldaniell
I am new mechanic and would like to do my own work. How difficult is it to clean out and get running two motorcycles that have been sitting up for 1 year? They ran great before being garaged but the owner never got around to riding them and now they won't run.

They are 1993 CBR 900 RR's. If it is something like cleaning carbs, cleaning lines, and charging batteries I could do this.

Thank you!!
I'd start with basic tune-up type stuff. Clean air filter, clean carbs, new plugs, charge/replace battery, oil change, valve check, fuel filter, etc. Were they stored with gas in them? If so, I'd empty the tank and have a look inside just to see what's up.

Since they're Hondas, I bet it won't be too hard to get 'em running again...and you might be able to skip the valve check

Old 08-24-05, 05:56 PM
triton
Visiting Guest
lol, you think 2 years is long? the vespa grande moped i got for free from a friend had been sitting since 1982! the motor is totally locked up tho, but its all there

Old 08-27-05, 09:09 PM
bike sitting

first before you even try and crank it, if you did not put 1 teaspoon of oil in the cylinders, then do so and let sit a day or two, before you atempt start.

2- drain gas out of tank, check inside of take for rust. If rust you may have to use what they call kareem. you can get at motorcycle shop.

3- remove battery and charge or replace if bad.

4- make sure oil does not have moisture or water in it. if so replace.

5- there our drain screws on bottom on the carbs, i recommend a tube that fits into the whole, so you dont drip the gas all over.

6- put fresh gas in and atempt to start- if it starts, then you might try running some carb cleaner thru the tank with gas, drive around on that tank and see how it handles, if running rough after a tank, then carbs need cleaned.

7- If carb needs cleaned and you know how to take the carbs off, without forgetting then atempt. (mean not forgeting how to put back together.

8- jap bikes, metric screws, be prepaired to need o replace the screws, I have more than one time, striped the heads off of them.

if your bike has 2 or 4 carbs, get plastic container for each carb. to make sure you do not mix parts.

remove all items that carb cleaner and solvent will eat. Be carefull taking off the plunger, if they are old, they can tear easily. take time, be patient.

Do not unscrew idle screw, mixture screw, unless needed, since likely the jet wholes just need cleaned and the bowl.

But if you have to, then try and mark or remember what the setting was at.

Now once you have back together, make sure you have air cleaner on and sealed, the bike will not run right with it off and do not atempt to adjust with air cleaner filter off, cuz once you intall the settings will not be right.

Now foam air filter, if it needs oiled or replaced do so. foam filters when bad, let small pieces into the intake, we call them piston ring eaters. cuz they will wreck the piston rings.

Now, You will likely have to have your carbs sinked after doing this, unless you have a carb sinker and know how to do it, its best to have someone who has done it before do it.

For those who dont know what this is, if you have 4 carbs, you want them working and running all the same, or you can have 1 or mroe cylinders running to rich or lean.

Remember to put new plugs in, after a 1 to 2 times riding your bike, check the plugs, any time a plug shows white on the porcelan just below the part aresiter, then its way to lean.

Well I hope this helps, this is not buy no means a exact listing or super detailed, but should get you going in the right direction.

BTW, the bike shop I worked at we charged $75 for carb clean and like $30 for carb sinking.

sporty

Old 08-30-05, 08:41 PM
IS it 2 cycle or 4 cycle? Usually, WHen I get an engine that Has been sitting for a while, I check the carbs/tank to see if the gas has varnished yet. If It has, I go for a total cleaning/rebuild. If It hasnt, I usually just to gaskets/diaphragms, as gas tends to make them weak and brittle after a while.

I would take the plug out and pour a bit of marvel mystery oil in. Just enough to coat the whole piston, so it seeps down int o the rings. Let it sit, and dont worry about the amount. It will burn off eventually lol.

Once It has sat for a while, Ill check to see if it has oil (4 cycle). If It doesnt look to bad, Ill leave it, if its horrific, Ill change it. IF it doesnt have any in it, Ill add some. Then, I will try to turn the engine over by hand a few times to get everything all lubed up. Only THEN will I try to start the engine. Sometimes It starts, other times it doesnt. Usually, I spray a little bit of starting fluid right into the spark plug hole, as there is no danger of burning the pisont with all the damn marvel mystery oil. It also helps to burn it off. Some times the engine will fire, other times it wont, in which case, Things get a little more complicated.

Jim

Old 10-05-05, 03:38 PM
RolandD
Visiting Guest
Unused bikes

Last week, I bought a 2003 Honda Rebel with 142 miles on it. Needless to say, it had been sitting for quite a while. The battery was dead and the previous owner said he thought the carb was gunked up.

I drained the gas tank, it was nearly full, and rinsed it with some gas mixed with Sea Foam. I then filled it with fresh gas and added the recommended amount of Sea Foam to it. I managed to jump start it from my car battery, if you try this make sure the car isn't running. I had a lot of trouble keeping it running. I had to screw the idle up to max and kept it about 1/2 choke to drive it the 6 blocks home.

After cleaning and reinstalling the carb, and replacing the battery, she started right up. I still had to play with idle to keep her running, but after ten minutes driving around the block, everything cleared up and began to run normal. I also installed an inline fuel filter while I was at it.

I've ridden her to work the last four days. Today, I changed the oil. I had checked the oil and it looked fine, but on the ride home today, it seemed like the engine was running awfully hot. When I drained it, the oil seemed as thin as water, but that could be because it was still hot from a thirty minute drive. Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-05-05, 04:07 PM
Might not have had the right oil, also with it sitting moisture likely got into the oil.

sporty

congrats

Old 10-20-05, 05:11 PM
ericvaug
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by josephldaniell

Thank you!!
I just did a 76 honds sit 7 years had to rebuild carbs clean and replace rubber,jets also had to redo all brakes master cyl, calipers. You should only have to clean carbs, change all fluids (oil, gas, antifreeze) If it only sat for a year brakes should be ok. check tires for rot if it sat outside