He tells me its cold blooded..

Old 08-30-05, 06:46 AM
luedog95610
Visiting Guest
He tells me its cold blooded..

i bought me a super pocket bike the rx16 it has the replica honda 50cc motor on it but i have done everything to fix the dang thing from either sputtering out at a 1/4 turn of the throttle or sputterin out 3/4 turn ran it rich ran it thin evereything with the same results the spark plug is gettin spark I have no clue did i get a bunk motor? he said it is just cold blooded what should ilet it warm up an hour or three in the sun before rideing what?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-05, 11:33 AM
sputter

Well, I have torn down and worked on a few honda 50cc motors.

You got either a carb problem or a valve problem, maybe even a timing problem.

It should not take longer than 5-10 minutes to warm up, on the older 50cc honda engines. they were hard starting, 1970's era and you had to lean it over to the right side for 15 seconds and then it would kick start right up.

sputtering is usually a sign of not enough fue ? whats the smoke look like ? blue ? hows the plug look ? black or wet or both ?

the mixture screw can be anywhere between 3/4 to 2 1/4. But I mostly find 1 1/4 a good starting point.

How the gas ? got good gas ? tried another fresh tank and no ethenol.

also try a new plug, if its partially failing it can cause this.

is this brand new or used ? hows the compression ? does it do this at idle or under load ? all speeds or more so at higher speeds ?

If this bike is brand new, id take it back.

sporty

Old 08-30-05, 11:49 AM
IS this 4 cycle or 2, and is it a honda brand carb on there? Cna you give us more info about it?

Jim

Old 08-31-05, 04:45 PM
honda 50cc is 4cycle.

Old 08-31-05, 06:50 PM
Try starting the thing where sporty said, as I have no experience with THAT particular engine, and let us know what happens.

Also, add some fresh fuel to it

Jim

Old 09-06-05, 12:54 PM
try a higher octane fuel, i have a goed that runs like crap on 89 octane but runs like an indy car on 100+ octane add a tiny bit of oil mix to the gas if your going to use a high octane above 100 like a tea spoon a gallon of synthetic

Old 09-06-05, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by lawnmowerkid16
try a higher octane fuel, i have a goed that runs like crap on 89 octane but runs like an indy car on 100+ octane add a tiny bit of oil mix to the gas if your going to use a high octane above 100 like a tea spoon a gallon of synthetic

The can of marvel mystery oil says you can add a little bit to gas. Id say pick some up, and get the details.

Jim

Old 09-22-05, 06:08 PM
I have felt your pain!

Sounds to me like carburation, I would remove the carb and clean it like you never cleaned it before. Remember, those toy carbs have really small holes in the base as well as the jets. Run a small piece if wire through the holes to get what is probably stuck in there out. Soak it with gumout and blow it out with compressed air. Make sure to disassemble every last piece that you can before cleaning. If it has been sitting, more than likely it is clogged. I always use StaBil stabilizer in my bike gas, heads off these kinds of problems. Also, make sure that you are using a good plastic gas can and aren't getting junk from an old rusty gas can. Good Luck!