How do I adjust Govener

Old 09-24-05, 05:00 PM
Link555
Visiting Guest
How do I adjust Govener

I would like my 2006 Yamaha Gas Cart to go about 23MPH What has to be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-05, 10:30 PM
have no idea how its made or drive system, etc. but does it use a sprocket and chain deal? anyways, 23 mph is kinda slow, use to get 50 out of a 5hp briggs go-cart, stock. if you adjust the governor, and it wasn't designed to run any higher rpms ( revolutions per minute ) then what it was set at, the connecting rod will go snap which ain't good. all about the gearing of it.

Old 09-28-05, 12:26 PM
quadrophonic
Visiting Guest
Yamaha Golf Cart Governor

On a Yamaha Golf cart there is a 10mm nut on a long bolt coming off the carburator. turn it in to increase speed. I went from 10mph to 30mph on mine.

Web and e-mail addresses not permitted in the Forums. This prevents unwanted SPAM from filling your inbox.

Last edited by majakdragon; 10-13-05 at 03:06 PM. Reason: e-maill address in post
Old 09-28-05, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Link555 did you adjust the govenor (from your previous post asking the same question)?

== Answering quadrophonic== Since the Yamaha and most other gas golf carts use a constantly variable transmission (CVT) the speed governing is done from the rear end where the speed (revolutions of the drive axel) can be sensed. Adjustments at the carb or on the engine can change the maximum rpm that the engine will run, but the speed the cart is moving over the ground is sensed in back.

When you start moving the engine revs up to high rpms but CVT is at a high ratio so you have a lot of torque and not much speed. Once you are going the engine may be turning the rev's as when you started but the cart is going much faster. Bumping up the max rpm's for the engine does no good if the govenor in the rear end says slow down.

I would adjust the govenor that is on top of the rear end (under the black plastic cover in the bag area). If that is not fast enough you can remove the seat, remove the air filter assembly and start fiddling with the carb./engine itself. Be warned that if you bump up the engines max rpms it may blow (most likely break the connecting rod). If you cannot get enough speed by adjusting the govenor on the rear end I suggest you install a lift kit and larger tires. The larger tires will travel further with each revolution so the cart goes faster. Just do a search online for golf cart modification or golf cart accessories and you will find many people selling lift kits and tires/wheels. This modification will make the cart faster but it will not climb hills as well but it does not do much that can hurt the engine.

Old 10-08-05, 05:42 AM
Link555
Visiting Guest
Adjust Governor HELP

I payed a so called machanic to come to my house an get my cart to go a little faster maybe 22 MPH. He said no problem, he tighten the govenor nut, adjusted the gas peddle, messed with the choak or carborator. Now it still runs slow, bucks, smells of gas and the brake lights don't work. The is a new 2006 Gas Yamaha. I was told to have a high performance speed gear installed $488.00 Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-09-05, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
First, I would take your cart to someone (like the dealer) that actually knows how to work on a Yamaha golf cart. You first need to undo the damage done by the previous mechanic. While your cart is in the hands of someone knowledgable ask them to adjust the govenor to give you more speed.

Every G16 or later gas Yamaha I've seen can do at least the low 20's just by adjusting the govenor on top of the rear end.

Generally if an engine is running well there is nothing to fix, so adjusting the carb. can do more harm than good; as you have found out.

If you still want more speed after having the cart repaired and the govenor adjusted you can change the tires or the rear end ratio. Both will reduce your acceleration, cut your hill climbing and heavy load carrying ability but will increase your top speed. Changing the rear end ratio has the same effect as installing larger rear tires. It's a choice. If you want the higher ground clearance and "off road" look of a raised cart than I would go the lift kit and larger tires route. If you want to keep the stock golf cart look than the rear end ratio would be the choice. Both will cost you about the same amount.

Be aware that your cart only has drum brakes on the rear wheels. You have no brakes on the front wheels. You are making it go faster but have not done anything to make it stop better so leave some extra room to get slowed down and stopped.

Old 10-10-05, 07:02 AM
I work at a local golf course in my are and have messed around with trying to get to go faster (of course when no one else is around). They are EZ-GO golf carts. Something I found with acceleration is to take a short golf tee andlock the carberator wide open so when you step on the gas, the cart is already at full throttle and you have tire spinning acceleration. It also does increase the speed of the golfcart by like 5mph. Just be careful, trying to get stopped with stock turf tires doesn't work so well. On dry pavement I was going on a slight down hill turn and i nearly totalled the cart, when I hit the brakes they just locked up and let me slide. I almost hit the building that we store them in. So first thing is first.
1. Better Tires
2. Just try the tee holding the carb open
3. Better Brakes, go with the kart racing disk barakes on atleast the fron, maybe even the rear
4. Then mess witht the rear end.

Just be careful doing this.They werent ment to go this fast.

Old 10-26-05, 07:17 PM
wddobler
Visiting Guest
make you golf car go 23 mph

Originally Posted by Link555
I would like my 2006 Yamaha Gas Cart to go about 23MPH What has to be done?
My name is Dave, I"ve been a parts and service manager with yamaha golf cars for about 20 years. I hope this advice will help. #1-turning up the govenor 10mm nut (so all the threads are showing) is an excellent way to increase your speed (probably to 17mph or so) (DO NOT ZIP TIE OR USE A GOLF TEE !) this will not allow your govenor and accelerator cables to "pull" back the throttle shaft, causing the engine to over rev and "BAD NEWS" also make shure accelerator cable #1 (at the pedal) has a little "slack" or it or it can "break" the cable , that cable #2 is not to "tight" or the ignition can't start before fuel is introduced into the engine causing the car to not accelerate properly. #2-High speed gears are the way to go (jump on the $488.00 deal!) you'll gain speed but loose torque. "Jakes" make an excellent seconday spring kit for better low end. #3-Bigger tires (10" or bigger) will also increase mph. If your car is "lifted" be carefull, an oiling problem could come in to play. Remember...this is a golf car...no metal or air bags to protect you. Be smart, Be carefull, Have fun!

Old 07-07-06, 12:55 PM
Question on EZ-GO golf cart

This is a question for speeddrivenkid. Exactly where do you place the golf tee to unlock the carburators? Thanks

Old 07-07-06, 04:08 PM
Hi, Please let us know how you made out.
Jeff Z.

Last edited by Jeff Z; 07-07-06 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 07:19 PM
explain oiling problem

what do you mean when you say oiling problem
i have a 97 gas cart lifted with 23inch tires what do i need to look for?

Old 04-25-07, 08:05 PM
tae
i think they mean if the engine gets tilted to much it wont throw the oil around inside the engine like it needs for proper lubrication.

Old 04-26-07, 03:39 PM
is there a way to fix this
can i add over fill with oil to read a little high on the dip stick
will this help?

Old 04-28-07, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Engine lubrication should not be a problem if you perform the lift on both the front and rear of your cart. The cart will get taller but not tilt (until you go too fast around a corner).

Old 05-01-07, 07:30 PM
Question

i have a yamaha which means the rear lift does tilt the motor some do you think this may cause a problem?
i installed a7" lift

Old 05-02-07, 07:25 PM
tae
with motion and bouncing around you should be ok, it's when it sits for prolonged periods of time at an angle that it gets damaged.

Old 05-03-07, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
It's rather rare that I see a spec. for an engines maximum operating angle but when I do see one it always seems to be 30 degrees.
---
If your wheelbase is about 5' than a 7" lift gives you about a 6.6 degree angle.

Old 08-27-07, 07:02 PM
Unhappy Golf Cart trembles when it starts...

Can anybody help me with this issue..My gas golf cart trembles anytime I press the accelarator.. I don't know how to adjust the governer maybe that can be the problem. I really need to make my golf cart stops trembling because it feels like its going to brake into pieces..It's really weird because it only does it when u press the accelarator, but once is running it runs very good...any help???

Old 09-27-07, 02:02 PM
overhaul

looking for some tips on instaling 2 stroke engine in golf cart.
need a rear diff

Old 06-09-08, 08:11 AM
Gas E-Z-Go slow to start

can anyone please help me? Just bought two used 2004 ezgo gas carts, one seems to run fine, but the other is slow to get going. the starter starts as soon as you press the pedal, but takes a few seconds with pedal fully pressed to start moving. thanks, hunter