Building new go-cart

Old 10-03-05, 12:47 PM
goku54
Visiting Guest
Question Building new go-cart

Could one of you guys help me get started on building my own go-cart from scratch and need help getting started. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-05, 01:43 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you weld? What materials did you plan on using?

Jim

Old 10-03-05, 03:23 PM
S
kart racer, is your guy,

Unless ya can weld, then you looking at bolt together, and I personally dont like that a whole lot unless its small horse power and for the yard.

Just a thought, unless you are rock solid on building one from stratch, You may think about a kit.

You got inmind what you are wanting to spend ? Sometimes those kits are a good deal,

Now there are different types of kits, welded and non welded, racer's and kart racer knows, ! woohoo,.

and yard karts and more. 2 seaters, 1 seaters,

sporty

Old 10-03-05, 06:27 PM
K
Sporty, ya bring up a good point with kits.

What are your mechanical abilities, And what kind of tools do you have? You will need more than a pair of vise grips, and adjustable wrench and a few screwdrivers...

They sell U-build it kinda kits, where the frame is welded already, and you just put it together. Shouldnt take more than a day, pretty simple.

They also sell u-Weld it kinda kits, but keep in mind you need to have a fairly good understanding of welding, and I dont meant pulling the trigger on a MIG gun and laying down wire, you need to be able to put down a good penetration weld, because somebody could get seriously hurt.

Also, What kind of kart did you plan on building? Most kits are for light duty on road in a parking lot kind of thing. No suspension or anything, and usually single rear wheel drive. Off road karts are usually bought. Due to the complexity of the kart and the suspension and stuff, you need to have some pretty good knowledge, a tubing bender, and other Fab. equipment.

Racing kartes (my forte) are Usually always bought. Most Sprint karts come from Italy. If you are looking to get into racing, you can purchase frames, and buy components individually and put it together yourself.

Pleaseenlighten us as to what you specifically had in mind. Also, what kidn fo motor are you looking at. A chainsaw or weedwacker motor wont work... been thier tried that A lawnmower engine wont work either... You need a Horizontal crank engine. If your in NJ, I can hook you up.

Jim

Old 10-07-05, 12:40 PM
goku54
Visiting Guest
um....i have thought about kits but i don' really know where to buy one...and yes i can weld, and yes i have tools....(my friends dad owns a auto shop ) I am looking for a good kit that i could use around the yard and out on a trail....(maybe on the track too...idk... ) Can i buy the kits online? Because i really don't know any places where i live that sell any.. Well, thanks for the help!

Last edited by goku54; 10-07-05 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 12:41 PM
goku54
Visiting Guest
Oh ya! And do the kits come with motors? If not, do you guys know some good websites where i can get one or what could i use instead?

Last edited by goku54; 10-07-05 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 03:56 PM
K
www.kartworld.com is a big site that sells fun kart kits. You wont be able to run this kart at a track, but it will be great for around the yard and on the street. You can get motors new from www.northerntool.com Get either a briggs and stratton or a honda, sstay away from tecumseh.

If your in NJ, I can hook you up with your choice of almost new 3.5hp motors. None of them have ever had a load on them, only started to ensure they run.

Jim

Old 10-11-05, 01:00 PM
goku54
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the sites! They help alot!... But i have a question.. would it be cheaper to buy a kit...or get plans for one and buy the materials seperately?
And where can i just get plans?

Old 10-11-05, 01:06 PM
goku54
Visiting Guest
I also have another question. Can i make and old 1983 honda 200 engine an electric start? If so...tell me how! Thanks!

Old 10-11-05, 02:13 PM
K
http://www.kartworld.com/GOKARTS-MIN..._KART_KITS.htm

figure out which kit you want.

As for the engine, just save yourself the trouble. just get a briggs and stratton or honda or kohler 4 cycle and stick a cent. clutch on it.

Jim

Old 10-12-05, 12:37 PM
goku54
Visiting Guest
Ok....well do you know websites just for plans? My Firends and i would like to get the materials our selves.

Old 10-12-05, 06:47 PM
K
no, but they sell them on ebay. Your gunna have to pay for decent plans.

Jim