Volusia back up and running!

Old 10-03-05, 03:41 PM
suzukigrl
Visiting Guest
Volusia back up and running!

Hey there Sporty982000 and Kartracer55. I just wanted to give you guys the update on the Volusia. I spent all day Sunday taking the carb out of the bike, cleaning it, replacing the plugs, draining the gas, and then putting it all back together again. When we found out it would cost $83 just to get it towed to the shop and then $150-200 to clean the carb, I said I would figure it out. It was really great to hear it turn over and purr like a kitty again. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions from before. I've learned a lot on this journey.

Ride safe!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-05, 05:30 PM
Glad to see you made the right choice lol. Wasnt so difficult was it?

What did you notice? Dirt in the carb? Gummed up fuel in the jets? Did the fuel in the carbs smell funny?

Remember... Sta-bil for storage!

Jim

Old 10-04-05, 04:23 PM
suzukigrl
Visiting Guest
The carb didn't really look to dirty to me. But I am not a professional. I just took apart some things and sprayed them. I did smell the fuel in the carb. The gas in the tank was discolored as well. There is some white smoke coming from the exhaust now. Should I assume this is the Marvel Mystery oil buring off that I put in the cylinders from before? I didn't take out the pilot screw or turn the idle screw at all. Let me know what you think.

Suzukigrl

Old 10-04-05, 06:59 PM
Yeah... the exhaust probably smells a bit funny right? After a race session, we add a few drops of MMO into the cylinder through the plu hole and turn the motors over a few times. This helps to keep the motors "clean" it stinks like hell. Anyway, if the fuel is discolored, it was on its way to varnishing. That was your problem... bad gas, and Id bet it gummed up your carbs a bit.

Glad to see ya got it running.

Jim

Old 10-04-05, 08:41 PM
woohooo,

thats great news to hear. congrats

sporty