another wont spark post

Old 10-13-05, 11:34 AM
ericb
Visiting Guest
another wont spark post

I have been given a 1985 Suzuki LT-230sf quadsport for free. Its been sitting for a year due to a cracked crank case cover. Ive replaced the cover, changed the oild, fuel, cleaned the carb(looked good considering) and changed the chain for entertainment.

It is a kick start however im not getting any spark from the plug. The plug itself is new and the connector to the plug looks good. I dont have any tools and and know NOTHING about electrical. Where do I go from here? Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

thanks,

eric

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-05, 02:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, check for fresh gas of course, but Next id say check for compression. Grab a friend and have him kickstart it, and put your ear near the muffler and listen for "thumping" this would indicate compression. If you dont here, it, you have no compression so it will never start.

Let us know what happens.

Jim

Old 10-14-05, 03:45 PM
ericb
Visiting Guest
it started! i had to cut the spark plug wire a bit but I got spark and it started. seems to run really well when its running but once I stop it, it wont start again. I let it sit 15 minutes, then it starts first or second kick. Seems to flud quickly. would this be a carb issue? it runs strong and only stalled on me once which isnt bad considering its been sitting for year. fast little thing too. Any insight as to why once i shut her down it wont start again for about 15 minutes or so? and to answer your question, plenty of compression

Old 10-14-05, 03:51 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It might be running too rich. Im not sure off hand, Ill have to think about it, Ill post you a bit later. What exactly did you mean by "cut the spark plug wire"? like literally cut it?

Jim

Old 10-15-05, 07:41 PM
ericb
Visiting Guest
lol.. Ya. the last 2 inches where it connects to the plug cap was rusy and stuff. So I cut it. Had it out long today. its seems to run strong but not yet reliable. think its just a clogged carb. Ill attack that soon enough. I occasionally stalls for no and wont start for 15 mintues or so...