18hp go kart?

Old 10-14-05, 02:59 AM
Artistic
Visiting Guest
18hp go kart?

Hi, Me and my friend are building a go kart right now the frame is about half done. We have the steering down and are just working on the rear now. ME and my friend have a chance to buy two 18hp vangaurd briggs and stratton engines for $150 canadian. They both run and we've already gone and seen them. My question is what kind of clutch system could I use with an engine this powerful? So far the only clutch I've found that is rated up to 18hp are these ones :

http://www.gokartsupply.com/4044seri.htm

and they cost about 300 for the whole set up. The reason we decided to use an engine this big is becuase they're so cheap. I normally see 18hp briggs go for a little over a grand canadian. Anyways, If any of you guys have any idea''s on how we could make an 18hp engine work , I'm all ears. I was thinking maybe parts from a tractor(cause thats what these engines are usually used for) or maybe something off a golf cart? Anyways. All help would be greatly appreciated thanks - Andrew

BTW: Yes the engines are horizontal shaft. They are also electric start and have a 1inch bore.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-05, 03:11 PM
Just do one engine... two is asking for problems. Think about it, you need to get the throttles on both exactly the same, and theyd have to be running at the same RPM the whole time, otherwise youw ill be putting excessive wear on the clutch, chain, or both.

Just do one.

Jim

Old 10-16-05, 03:46 AM
Artistic
Visiting Guest
no no, I think you either misread or I misstyped my question. I dont plan on using two 18hp engines, It's just the guy is selling two for $150. My question is about what type of clutch or drive components can be used.

Old 10-16-05, 08:18 PM
Ohhhh I see. Any cent. clutch rated for 18hp. Look around. The problem is that most tractors with 18hp engines are bel drive and tyhe "clutch" means engaging a pulley.

Jim

Old 10-17-05, 08:04 PM
Artistic
Visiting Guest
Arg. I've looked around and that one clutch I gave the link for is the only one I've found. I was wondering what would happen if I used a clutch that was rated for say, 9 hp. Would it just slip and never engage , or would it work, but shorten the life span dramaticly?

Last edited by Artistic; 10-18-05 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 05:57 PM
The clutch will probably slip alot because its not designed to engage hard enough to handle all the torque of sucha large motor

Jim

Old 10-19-05, 04:53 PM
Artistic
Visiting Guest
Is there a way I can tune down the engine so that it still runs at speeds high enough to engage the clutch, but has less power?