Cylinder Head Removal Tecumseh Enduro engine

Old 10-18-05, 06:11 AM
CBPMIKE
Visiting Guest
Cylinder Head Removal Tecumseh Enduro engine

I have a Tecumseh 14HP Enduro Engine. The spark plug housing in the head is stripped. I need to find instructions on what is involved in removing the Head (Overhead valves, etc.). Any direction where I can get illustrated instructions.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 04:56 PM
Well its not really complicated. Your going to want to Get a head gasket for it first of all. Just unbolt the actual heads, and lift them right off... you shouldnt have to take the rockers off or anything like that. Just turn the engine so neither of the pushrods are applying pressure to the rocker arms, and you wont have to worry about resetting the rocker arms or valve lash.

How do you plan on going about the stripped plug hole?

Jim

Old 10-19-05, 11:15 AM
CBPMIKE
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by kartracer55
Well its not really complicated. Your going to want to Get a head gasket for it first of all. Just unbolt the actual heads, and lift them right off... you shouldnt have to take the rockers off or anything like that. Just turn the engine so neither of the pushrods are applying pressure to the rocker arms, and you wont have to worry about resetting the rocker arms or valve lash.

How do you plan on going about the stripped plug hole?

Jim
Thanks for the reply - Since the price of a new head is$125.00, I will try a Heli Coil with the same inner dimension & thread of the spark plug and tap the head to hold the coil portion - what do you think?

Old 10-21-05, 07:45 PM
Well the thing about heli-coil's is that you need a kit to install them. It has the special tap, a bazillion heli-coils, the insert tool, and youll need to ket the little "break-off" tool. The kit isnt all THAT expensive, but you need a different kit for each size of thread, and you will have a million little heli-coils laying around that you will never use.

Have a machine shop heli-coil it for you, as they have all the equipment. Should be pretty cheap to do, considering an insert only costs like 75cents.

What kind of fabrication are you in the mood for? If you know somebody who can Tig aluminum or Spool Gun MIg it, have them build up the hole with filler. Then, you can drill the hole out, and tap it. Youll need a drill press for the drilling, and the Tap will be special order from MSC/ENCO.

Its up to you.

Jim