5hp B&S Won't start

Old 11-07-05, 06:03 PM
5hp B&S Won't start

OK, chalk this up to stupidity. I have a 5hp B%S on a go kart

Model: 136212
Type: 001601
Code: 95090607

with a torque converter (last point not necessary). The torque converter is not locked onto the engine.

So, the go-kart sat in a shed through two winters, never being started for those two years. The gas was old gas.

I try to get it started this summer, and it won't start with new gas (not much of a surprise). I haven't the time to devote to it because I work practically full time, and the weekend is given over to yard work.

Here's what I've done so far:

Checked for a spark - yes.

Filled carb with a little bit of gas - engine ran for a short amount of time.

I removed the carb, replaced the little rubber diaphram, sprayed carb cleaner in the carb, blew in it (don't have an air compressor). I removed the idle adjustment screw (I think), cleaned that out with cleaner, and screwed it back in the same amount of turns I used to remove it. This didn't fix the problem.

-====-====-====-

So, how do I know where the problem is? There is a metal tube that I *think* creates a vacuum (and uses the diaphragm to pump the gas), I unplugged this from the carb, and I felt a slight sucking feeling when the engine was cranked. Not very strong, though.

Could it be the plastic tube that goes into the gas tank? Is the tube removable? I don't want to snap it - it's half plastic, half brass. Press fit? Screwed in?

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated! I know, it was MY fault for not starting it and driving it. I just don't have time for it anymore

TIA!

John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-05, 08:03 PM
check those little pickup tubes for clogging at the bottom. don't remove the mesh screens, though your going to have to tear the carb apart, soak it in carb cleaner, and then blow it out good with carb cleaner, with the little straw you get with the can, through all the holes you can possibly find. when you get it going, use a little bit of little overly stabilized fuel, not much, but then run it till it cuts off, to store it.

Old 11-07-05, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by v8driver
check those little pickup tubes for clogging at the bottom. don't remove the mesh screens, though your going to have to tear the carb apart, soak it in carb cleaner, and then blow it out good with carb cleaner, with the little straw you get with the can, through all the holes you can possibly find. when you get it going, use a little bit of little overly stabilized fuel, not much, but then run it till it cuts off, to store it.
1) I did blow through all the little holes with the carb cleaner, but I cannot get to the gasoline pickup tube. Do you know if the tube separates from the carb, or if it is permanently press fit?

2) There are two things the dip into the gas tank

- a long tube, with a strainer

- a short metal extension, with a hole at the bottom

I think the metal extension is for the carb to drip out, but am not too sure.

John

Old 11-08-05, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
I am guessing that your carb. is sitting right on top of the fuel tank... Fuel is sucked up the long tube by the fuel pump (the rubber diaphram you replaced). It is then dumped into a shallow "cup" in the top of the fuel tank where the venturi action in the carb sucks fuel up the short tube. With this crazy little system the level of fuel in the little cup is always the same no matter how much fuel is in the tank. The fine screen at the bottom of the tube is the fuel filter.

I would do as V8 mentioned and give the carb. a good soaking in cleaner. 2 year old varnish can be tough to remove.

I would also try gently screwing the needle in until it seats and back it off 1 1/2 turns and try starting it. It won't be perfect but it may get it running.

I don't know if you have played with choke or not... If you are still having trouble getting it started you can put your mouth over the gas cap and blow. This will force fuel up into the carb. You can also crank the engine with your hand over the air intake to help suck more fuel into the carb. Both of these tricks will do about the same thing as putting a few drops of gas directly into the carb.

Old 11-13-05, 10:48 AM
Ok, so I removed the carb, checked the diaphragm I replaced - there was fuel in it.

I checked the fuel pickup tube - it was clear, carb cleaner ran through it easily.

I put some gas in the carb after reassembling it (I soaked the carb), ran until gas was used up.

So, where do I go from here? I played with increasing the throttle, choke on/off.

There is a little metal tube that runs to the back of the carb - when uncapped, it makes a slight sucking feeling.

The go-kart is too big to fit in my parents van (well, it *might* just fit), but I'd rather not take it to a shop just yet.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-05, 10:13 PM
well, theres one thing, tank to carb mating surface may be warped, or gasket needs replacing, or maybe theres some trash thats, while its running, sucks up trash, cloggs fuel flow, then when not, doesn't clogg.