electric motor questions and so forth

Old 11-13-05, 07:30 PM
electric motor questions and so forth

I am thinking of building a electric go-kart for my kids.

I am wanting to make it mostly out of wood. I want it to have a enclosed **** pit, so to speak of.

I want it quite and power full enough for hills, It dont need to be faster than 10 mph.

However, I have no clue to what motor would work and battery.

I dont want something thats gonna be a waiste to use or over kill and at the same time, not to weak for a 60-80 pound kid.

Yet I want the battery or batteries to last for atleast 1 hour.

I got already (5) 12 volt 12 ah batteries that work good for the kids power wheels.

Now they are wanting more speed and they are maybe got 1 more summer in them before they out grow them.

I did a go-kart this past year for them, but they are scared of the noise and its to fast and I have geared it down alot. I know I can use a jack shaft to further get it slower.

However, The quiteness of a electric one, does please the neighbors also.

I know very little about relays and variable speed controls.

But I was thinking of simplicity and easyness in mind.

And if a dc motor that can do the job and not cost me a fortune would be great also.

So I was thinking, driven buy the electric motor, connected to a drive axle with using sprockets and a chain to drive it.

Ive looked on e-bay at dc motors and seen golf cart motors and 250, 300, 500 watt motors for electric scooters, but i dont see how they could handle the weight of the vehicle and rider.

and $250 for a gold cart motor, yikes.

So I see these motors with watts rating on them, I dont see enough info about amp rating or draw.

Then they have like, 1.4 hp ,1 hp and so forth

But I dont know how much I need or can get buy with.

Would it best be for me to asume, if a go-kart uses a 5 hp briggs, that I would also look for a 3 - 5 hp electric motor ?

or is there a differance in rating to some degree ?

I have not ruled out using some square metal tubing for the frame, but i know I am gonna be having a wood body and using lexon for the cockput or plexi glass.

So I am hoping someone out there has built one or knows about electric motors and so forth.

And what I would use to control the speed and a reverse.

thanks,

sporty

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-05, 01:14 PM
What kind of muffler is on the one now? Go to a lawnmower shop and ask for a super quiet muffler, probably froma hldna lawnpower, and take a trip to home depot and get a short piece of black pipe and a nipple. Exaust on lawnmowers is NPT thread. How old are the kids?

Maybe just get them a helmet t o baffler out the noise

Jim

Old 11-14-05, 02:24 PM
Its a stock factory Briggs muffler (5hp).

my oldest is 10 years old. My youngest is 4.

But My interest is in building a electric one at this time. But as I mentioned I need more info, related to my specific posting.

I would rather look at the electric route at this time, then to force him to ride something he dont want to. I wanna let him decide and feel comportable with it.

But in the event, no one post the information that I need or am seeking in that avenue. Or what the cost factor will be.

I still will have to build a frame and so forth for what I have in mind for a body and cockpit design.

I have not ruled out using sheet metal for the body shape. But to get the shapes I am wanting.

I might be looking at the following -

1- Either making a skeleton out of wood and then using figerglass cloth and resin to form the shell and then remove the skeleton.

2- I have used styrofoam in the past to mold and shape my design and then cover with plastic, (resin eats styrofoam if applied right on it, However there is a type of resin you can get, I forget the name of it, but it is much more costly then standard resin. If you wanted to apply directly to the styrafoam.

To make the nose cone, if I used sheet metal, its a long process.

You take the sheet metal and lay it on top of sand, then pound it alot with a autobody hammer to get the form and shape (small rubber mallet also works)

then once you have the shape and so forth, then there should be the sand molded or impacted to the shape of the nose cone.

Then with a vibrating hammer, you smooth out the ruff dings, then fill with resin or bondo and then grind the access off and keep at it until its the way you want it.

If strofoam, you just use a wire, transformer to cut and use sand block and power hand sander to form the cone and then cover and apply fiberglass cloth and then resin and sand.

If you have seen jesse james, show. Before Monster garage, they showed him how he made finders and gas tanks. It's like that

to a degree.

Off topic to my orginal questions, but I thought i would talk about it.

I'm looking to start this project after x-mas and calculate a 2 to 3 month build time.

Sporty

Old 11-14-05, 07:08 PM
No offense or anything, but I dont think you realize how difficult sheetmetal work really is. Jesse James makes it look easy, but trust me, its freaking damn near impossible. Its a plastic mallet with a rounded face, and usually a leather "bean bag" that you pound out the metal on. A guy my dad knows attempted to show me a bit, as he does some light fabrication, and I had no idea how hard it really is. Its kinda like one of newtons laws... the whole "for every action theres and equal yet opposite reaction" Hit the metal in one spot, it bends up in another spot. Its truly an art form. Keep the kart simple for now.

Jim

Old 11-15-05, 08:51 AM
Jim,

I actually did it in autobody school. When we were restoring older cars, 34 woody, 32 chevy coupe.

Yes it is hard and time consuming, But I have done it before.

Again, I am wanting replys on electric motors and control for electric motors as posted in my orginal posting.

thanks

sporty

Old 12-11-05, 01:05 AM
watts x voltage = amps.
600 watts / 12 volts = 50 amps.
600 watts / 24 volts = 25 amps.
This formula can be off a slight amount when coils are involved like the ones in motors.
For DC voltage it should be close.
If we were talking about AC motors then the formula may be off a lot more.

I was looking into the motors they put in electric cars, looks like they use 3 to 10 HP
You may find something on this link.
http://www.evparts.com/firstpage.php

http://www.evparts.com/faq/

Old 01-03-06, 02:34 PM
I've seen carts built using starter motors for trucks.
Keep in mind these use a lot of amps, and will get VERY hot when in use. This is true of any electric motor.

The little power wheel batteries you have are not going to be anywhere near strong enough for this application. You need to start thinking bigger. Either a pair of deep cycle batteries, or some golf car batteries.

Wood is going to be both too heavy, and too weak to be usable as a frame.
Electric motors are not cheap, especially low voltage motors with any power.