Starter Generator?

Old 11-15-05, 07:51 AM
grandpajack
Visiting Guest
Starter Generator?

I have a 96 Yamaha 2cycle gas golf cart. It has a new battery but does not have the juice to start..A 3 or 4 minute charge is all it takes to get it going.When hooked up to a charger it goes from a low battery to a full charge in a very short period of time, 3 or 4 minutes...I don't think there is a short anywhere.Could my problem be the starter generator or voltage regulator? Which is more likely? thank you...Grandpajack

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-05, 04:47 PM
wddobler
Visiting Guest
battery and generator and voltage regulator

[QUOTE=grandpajack]I have a 96 Yamaha 2cycle gas golf cart. It has a new battery but does not have the juice to start..A 3 or 4 minute charge is all it takes to get it going.When hooked up to a charger it goes from a low battery to a full charge in a very short period of time, 3 or 4 minutes...I don't think there is a short anywhere.Could my problem be the starter generator or voltage regulator? Which is more likely? thank you...Grandpajack[/QUOTE First Yamaha didn't make a 2 cycle in 1996. Do you have a 2 cycle or a 4 cycle ? Jack up your cart so the rear wheels are off the ground. Put your volt meter on the battery (check voltage-12 volts or more) Then push on the accelerator (forward) If the battery voltage drops ,lets say to 8 or 9 volts,either you have a bad battery or your battery connections are bad. Now with the car running rev up the engine, your volt meter should read 14.5 to 15.5 volts. This means your charging circut is working and you need a new battery or clean your connections. 2 cycle yamaha's only charge in forward. 2 cycle yamaha's have an adjustable voltage regulator, later 4 cycles usually have an automatic volt reg. Try this tests and let me know. I've been working on yamaha golf cars for 20 years and i'm shure we can work it out. Hope this helps Dave