lowering the rpm on gocart, its wearing my tire away

Old 11-25-05, 10:50 AM
disasterous
Visiting Guest
lowering the rpm on gocart, its wearing my tire away

my go cart has many problems right now, most fixed but i cant find a way to keep my drive tire from getting worn away, i fish tale, and me being part of a crew team in nascar, you would think i would know this stuff, but not much about my gocart. i have wrecked flipping it because of the tire turning itself into a slick tire with no treads from being worn away.. within 1 week the treads half way down. i was never injured because of my sturdy roll cage so dont worry.
HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-05, 11:29 AM
Disasterous, if you truly are on a NASCAR crew team, I get the feeling you're chummin' after reading this thread and the one about the carb leak.
Mike

Old 11-25-05, 11:31 AM
What kind of land are you driving on? Maybe flipping over was just caused by going too fast on a turn. How big is the engine?

Old 11-25-05, 01:33 PM
disasterous
Visiting Guest
!

yes i may be on nascar crew team, but i dont work on cars. i redirect people in their cautions and stuff. i have a 10.5 hp engine and i drive on gravel and dirt. please help me.

Old 11-25-05, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you have one wheel drive (sounds like you are only wearing one tire). 10.5 hp is a lot of power to put to one tire. Also, flipping your cart has little to do with a slick tire, in fact a good gripping tire may increase your chance of flipping. Generally if you flip, you were going too fast for the turn. A tire that does not bite will let the cart slide, if the tire grips the bottom of the cart makes the turn and everything above it (top heavy) continues going straight and tries to tip the cart.
---
The very easy fix: Do the obvious and stop spinning the tire. As a crew chief you probably already know that spinning the tire is not an efficient way to put power to the ground. Ease on the power until the tire spins and back off just a little. Stomping on the gas and watching the tire spin may be fun but it causes you to go online and ask why your tires don't last.

The easy fix: Get better tires (may require new rims). Knobby tires don't have much rubber on the ground so it's easy to start them spinning. Cheap/low quality tires often do not last as long as better tires. You may want to change your tire width, diameter and tread design to put more rubber on the ground.

A bit more difficult: Change your final drive ratio. Assume your cart is driving around in 1st gear. You have lots of power to spin the tires but not much top end. Change your drive sprockets so you are driving in 2nd gear (going to larger diameter tires will do the same thing).

Even harder: Get both back wheels driving. Install a differential or just a solid axel that drives both wheels. Both wheels driving with no differential will make turning more difficult but will greatly increase your traction and reduce your chances of spinning the tires.

Old 11-25-05, 02:22 PM
disasterous
Visiting Guest
thanks

thank you so very much. ill get all of the advices done on my go cart. by any chances do you know where the govenor is located so i can mayby lower my speed till i get the work done on my gocart?

Old 11-26-05, 04:54 PM
needfor speed
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Originally Posted by disasterous
thank you so very much. ill get all of the advices done on my go cart. by any chances do you know where the govenor is located so i can mayby lower my speed till i get the work done on my gocart?
yes my name is dan is your engine a lawn mower engine like a tecumseh becasue if it is there is a air filter simply take off the air filter if you have a friend with you tell him to open it full throttle and you will see a screw thats stopping it from going the fast to make it go slower simply turn it to the right if you have a brigs and straton I dont know I did this today and my gokart went 28mph now it 35mph if you want faster then turn it to the left I can only tell you this on tecumseh any other engine I dont know from dan