1977honda chain to long

Old 01-29-06, 08:52 AM
1977honda chain to long

Hi I have a 77 honda 750 in ex. con. but the chian is adjusted as far as it will go! can I remove a link or two to shorted it up?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-06, 04:25 PM
unless you know the chain is new and just cut wrong you should really get a new chain. it's too long because it's worn

Old 02-13-06, 08:15 AM
diagnosticmonke
Visiting Guest
Wink Chained

Lay the chain in the cogs and check for wear. Some places sell half links but it sounds like its stretched. If you put a new chain on it, be sure the sprockets arent worn as this is the biggest cause to rapid chain wear.

Old 02-13-06, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by 1995HYU
Hi I have a 77 honda 750 in ex. con. but the chian is adjusted as far as it will go! can I remove a link or two to shorted it up?
There are several versions of the 750 for that year, which model (exactly) do you have, and then we can know how many links the chain is suppose to have.

More than likely, it's simply stretched from use.
You should replace the chain AND the sprockets as an assembly.

Old 02-20-06, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pendragon

More than likely, it's simply stretched from use.
You should replace the chain AND the sprockets as an assembly.

agree 100%

check with your local dealer, Parts Unlimited has their own sprockets for alot of older bikes and they are cheaper than OEM

Old 03-16-06, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by 1995HYU
Hello, Depending on how many miles you have on the chain it may be out of limits, if it is workable you can take a link or two out using a chain breaker. Be sure to use a new masterlink and face it the right way(closed end rotating towards front) Shon