i need help!!!!

Old 01-30-06, 02:00 PM
i need help!!!! engine mounting

ok i have this school project. auto tech and i nedd to make a kart of some type. i got a fram which will hold, it has to be all from wood. i have this briggs & stratton engine(lawnmower engine) 6.5 hp and i need to know waht to do. thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 04:22 PM
is the engine a vertical or horizontal crankshaft ? what are your limitations as far as purchasing parts ? what are the rules of this assignment ? we need a little more info.

Old 01-31-06, 05:28 PM
thanx

first of all its a vertical crankshaft.its off a briggs & stratton lawnmower.as far as parts go, pretty much whatever as long its not an outrageous sum.the rules for the project are the following bulid kart out of wood or any steel. Mine is built out of steel because i figured it would be better and stronger. the car has to carry me(6 feet 182 pounds0 at leats 400 yards at a rate of 12 mph or more.

thank you

Old 01-31-06, 06:02 PM
you're off to a bad start with your engine. can you get a horizontal crank engine?
can you weld?
what parts do you have now?
are you able to take photos and post them for us to observe your progress?
let us know

Old 02-01-06, 06:37 PM
No Welding Yes To The Pics And I Have The Steel And The Engine And All The Componets(hoses,hook Ups Etc...)

Old 02-02-06, 06:38 AM
the first thing to do is come up with a plan. go look at some carts, lawn tractors, riding mowers, etc. to get an idea of how things are done. your requirements are not for durability or speed so you're getting a break there.

Old 02-03-06, 07:21 PM
ok dude thanks i will golook at some tractor and stuff thanks.com

Old 02-05-06, 06:02 AM
one thing you will have to address is the vertical crankshaft. you need to change the drive output somehow. consider a belt drive which can be "twisted" 90 degrees as done on some commercial walk behind mowers. if you can't find a belt drive clutch you could use an idler pulley setup. solve this first and then move on to the wheels and steering. save the easy stuff for last.

Old 02-10-06, 03:05 AM
A definite stumbling block you'll encounter is the fact that this engine has a lightweight aluminum flywheel and needs additional weight to run smoothly. Originally, it had the blade to double as a flywheel and you will need something similar in weight on the PTO end to act in this manner. Otherwise, you'll rip the engine apart in a relatively short period of time.

Old 02-10-06, 04:51 AM
puey made a good point. some of those verticals won't even start without a blade mounted.

Old 02-10-06, 05:27 PM
maybe the lawnmower engines on mars are different than on erth ive startd a lotv vert engins without blade and hv never failed bnecause of that,
and you can flip em on side too

Old 02-10-06, 09:16 PM
i know, what brand engines are we talking about here, blowing up from not having the blade on? i mean the flywheels balanced, the blade is, take the blade off, still balanced. though about flipping a vertical shaft mower on its side while running, now thats what'll kill the engine, the engine was configured to run so its vertical, on its side, the oil slinger can't do its job right, or at all. i havn't seen a briggs yet blown from no blade, well i guess theres always a first. i've yet to see one though.

Old 02-11-06, 04:47 AM
i didn't say all verticals. some mfg's realized they could cheat the amount of material in the flywheel using the inertial properties of the blade to accomplish some of the work of the flywheel. hence, unless the engine was rotated very quickly, it wouldn't start. as far as now blade causing out of balance condition, it shouldn't. the blades are in a 0 balance state thus removing it does not change the overall state of balance as in an automotive harmonic balancer.

Old 02-13-06, 07:39 AM
diagnosticmonke
Visiting Guest
Ahhh, The memories of being young again, Those were the days !

Old 02-13-06, 08:20 AM
very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how do you know how old we are?

Old 02-15-06, 04:18 PM
This Sucks

LIKE MOST OF ALL YALL SAID ITS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON 1. THE ENGINE DOES NOT START UNLESS PLACED IN A VERTICAL POSITION 2. IF WE ARE TO FLIP THE ENGINE SIDEWAYS ,GAS AND OIL ARE GOING TO LEAK OUT EVENTUALLY RUN IT OUT OF THE MOTOR AND HAVING THE RISK OF IT EXPLOTING IN MY FACE AND THE LAST REASON IF I HAD THE MONEY TO MAKE IT WORK I WOULD JUST BUY A BRAND NEW GO KART.....

Old 02-15-06, 04:43 PM
hang in there gcb, you just passed small engine 101. won't say we told you so, but, ok, yes i will. we told you so ! if you really want to overcome this it can be done. nobody ever said the engine had to sit in a horizontal position. check my post from january. belt drive will allow you to rotate the drive 90 degrees. or you can install a differential from a lawn tractor. the challenge in inovation is to "improvise, adapt, and overcome" -Clint Estwood
another lesson you learned, don't attempt to build a house because someone gave you a brick.

Old 02-17-06, 06:17 PM
dang dude your deep thanks for all your help and i will definetle try that.

Old 02-17-06, 06:17 PM
dang dude your deep thanks for all your help and i will definetly try that.

Old 02-17-06, 07:14 PM
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome i think thts the Marine corp not sure though:mask: :mask: