Hlp Building a Go Cart

Old 02-02-06, 10:44 AM
Question Help Building a Go Cart

well hi im new here and for the longest time i have wanted to build a go cart, but on the internet there arnt that many sites with free plans that explain how to build a go cart powerd by a horizontal lawn mower, could someone help me out?

Last edited by M3tallicA; 02-02-06 at 11:11 AM. Reason: forgot to add the "e" in hElp
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-06, 11:13 AM
M3tallicA, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Watch your post and you will get more answers than you ever thought possible. It would help get started if you post what you have now to get going. Engine size,brand etc. You will be asked if the cart is for on-road, off-road, racing also. Use the reply button at the bottom of this post to continue with your questions. Good luck.

Old 02-02-06, 11:56 AM
hello and thankyou, i just pulled the motor out and it says no where that i can see, its horse power rating, all i know about it is that its an old mastercraft walk behind lawnmower and infont of the engin is this 20", i guess that means a 20 inch blade? as you can see i know nothing about small motors and this is my first time building a go cart, i wasnt planing on it going off road, just somthing with decent suspension for a good ride and somthing for me to tootle around in, as of now i have only the motor. o and i forgot to mention it said 2 cycle, im not shure if that helps.

Old 02-02-06, 12:10 PM
sweet!!! my kind of topic. first i need to know if your going to build this frame yourself? if you are your going to need a tube bender that can at least bend up to 1" tube or square tubing. and of course your going to need a welder. if your not up to this challenge there are many companies on the internet that you can buy a basic frame from a fully assembled piece or a dissassembled piece for you to weld it together. as for a suspension type frame it will definetly cost a good amount to buy and it is the hardest to make. being that you dont know much about frame bulding (so i assume) i would stick with a dissasembled box type frame and all you have to do is weld it together. i think they only cost about 100.00 for the dissasembled frames. do a google search for "build a go kart frame" and you will get many options on what you can build. they even have off road suspension frames you can build from a kit or with plans. this is a fun hobby thats easy to learn all you really need to master is welding. you dont want your go kart falling apart....... lol! enjoy. it addicting.....
i am in the middle of building a go kart with a 1995 gsxr750 motor.

Old 02-02-06, 12:18 PM
very cool stuff, i wish you the best of luck with your project, well i think i might go with a pre bent kit like you said just because i dont know anything about building frames, but the welding is no problem.

Old 02-02-06, 01:41 PM
Hi; Iam new here and know of a site i thought was very cool http://www.sadik.net/gokart/

Here is my webpage of a cart I have been working on....http://webpages.charter.net/whobedobe/

Any constructive advise would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-06, 02:32 PM
Building Go Kart

Hi, You are in for alot of fun. I build go karts and mini bikes from the ground up. If money isn't a issue I would use a 1" live rear axle with a differential driven by a torque converter. If you scroll down about 18 posts from yours I posted some sites I use all the time for parts.

Good luck and have fun, Jeff

Old 02-02-06, 02:36 PM
thank you very much jeff, ill look in to it, o and good luck on your project whobedobe, look really cool

Old 02-02-06, 05:34 PM
o and i was also wondering, is there any way i can find out how much horse power my motor is? and what would the best gear ratio be if i was to do what jeff z said?

Old 02-02-06, 07:18 PM
Go kart

I use the sprocket that comes on the comet converter units with a #41 chain. On my driven sprocket if I want speed I use a 48 tooth. If I want power I use a 60tooth. I just built a mini bike with a 13hp engine with a 14 tooth drive sprocket and a 48 tooth driven sprocket and it is pretty fast. A 10 or 12 tooth drive sprocket with a 54 tooth driven sprocket with #41 chain is the choice of most builders. Kinda middle of the road for power and speed.
I don't know what to tell you about the hp of the engine you have. A good person at a lawn mower repair shop might be your best bet. Try searching that mower brand on google and you might find some info on it. Make sure you mix oil in with the gas on that engine. Should be pretty cool with a 2 stroker. My next project is a kart with a 6hp diesel engine.You don't see many of them around.
Check the size of the shaft on your engine. Most low hp engines use a 3/4" shaft with a 3/16" key. When you get up in hp they are 1" shafts with a 1/4" key.Most all clutches and converters are 3/4" or 1". If the engine you have isn't either you might want to get a different engine. Search mini bike on ebay and there are alot of China built engines {They look like Hondas} for under $225.00 with shipping. I bought a 13hp on ebay for $250.00 with shipping.

Best regards, Jeff

Old 02-02-06, 07:30 PM
lol thankyou and good luck with your project also

Old 02-13-06, 03:13 PM
diagnosticmonke
Visiting Guest
Im In

That sounds like agood time listening to Metallica and building a Super Kart. Well, gotta get started

Old 02-13-06, 03:17 PM
lol thankyou