Honda fourtrax 300

Old 03-12-06, 07:35 PM
Honda fourtrax 300

I got my dads 2000 Honda fourtrax 300 that he's had sitting for about 2 years. He messed with a lot at first and then just periodically rode it and now hadn't in about 2 years.

I can't get the thing to fire. I have replaced the plug, new gas, new oil, had to get a new battery. It really doesn't even seem to come close to firing. Cranks and cranks.... the fuel is turned on and all that stuff. Tried two different plugs. I'm thinking maybe the fuel fitler next or the carb. However I don't know where the fuel filter is located on this unit and also would the carb be complete hell to pull and clean out?

any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cranks and cranks... just won't fire. not even like fire for a second and sputter.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 08:08 PM
2 years is way to long for untreated, or treated gas...... I would pretty much say the carb is gummed up and needs a rebuild (carb cleaner soak, new gaskets, etc.)
Have you checked for spark yet? Try some ether/starting fluid down the carb, see if it'll start on that.

Old 03-13-06, 11:09 AM
Should I just follow the hose that runs from the fuel cut off line to where it feeds into the engine and there is my carb?

Don't know a lot about these ATV's just picked it up the other day. I'm going to also order a manual.

and yes i did change the plug also. Do you know where the fuel filter is on this?

Thanks V8driver.

Old 03-13-06, 05:53 PM
I myself have never messed with one of these.... so I wouldn't know exactly where the fuel filter will be, but the main two types are used, are inline ( inbetween the fuel tank and carbm filtering the gas before it enters) or a intank mesh type, or both. Yeah you can follow the gas line from the tank to the carb to find out where the carb is, since its newer, might have a cover in the way. A manual would be a great place to start though, to get familiar with it.

Old 03-15-06, 07:08 PM
Lightbulb honda fourtrax 300

First make sure you are getting fire by removing spark plug and see if it is firing. If it is firing you may have old gas. you can squirt starting fluid in where your plug goes and replace plug and see if it will try to crank. If it does, you can drain old gas and replace with new.
Secondly, if no fire at plug, you probably have electrical problems. You can try moving your kill switch back and forth to make sure it is not corroded. if that is not problem, it may be your CDI (brainbox) located at front of atv around your steering stem. It could also be bad coil or coil wire. To make long story short, it could be one of many things