Honda EM2500 Generator

Old 03-15-06, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honda EM2500 Generator

I have a Honda EM2500 Generator that is acting up. One day the power output wasn't constant. It would have 'power surges'. The electric impact gun that I was using would run fine and then barely spin. That happened for about 15 minutes and then no power at all. I checked the cord, tool, circuit breaker, and everything is fine. It must be something internal. The unit runs well, always maintained. I have no idea how the 'generator' part of the machine works, so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-06, 07:22 AM
How many outputs (plugs) does the Honda have? If more than one are the results the same for each?

Old 03-16-06, 09:01 AM
Hi, To an inexperienced person in electric generators there is little you can do without the proper test equipment.These generators look like a simple piece of equipment but they are really more complicated than they look. Your best bet is to take it to a generator service tech.
Best regards, Jeff Z.

Last edited by Jeff Z; 03-16-06 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 05:23 PM
Polydorus, yes the result is the same for both outlets, the generator has an output gauge that reads zero.

Old 03-17-06, 06:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Tom

First thing to check is the plug receptacle. Remove it and inspect the wiring to it. Replace the existing receptacle with an exact duplicate and note the results. Always best to start with the simply things before suspecting major internal problems.

You should also do some continuity testing using an ohm meter. Test the switches, if any exist. Often times a switches internal contacts may be open when they should be closed. Test across any fuses in the circuits or breakers found. Test the gauge. Current may stop there and not be recording or allowing any to pass through. Lots of possibilities before assuming the magneto, armature, coils pads, rotor, brushes, etc are defective.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The resident small engine service and repair professionals in the forum may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Potential sources for manuals and or replacement parts:

DYI'S Small Engine Parts, Supplies, Tools & Accessories Center:
http://doityourself.com/store/power...accessories.htm

Manuals and or replacement parts:

BILLIOU'S:
1-559-784-4102
1-559-560-3268
1-800-245-5468

L.S.THORPE CO. INC. 1-617-776-2445

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area where small generators are repaired. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Vocational Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 03-18-06, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by LI Tom
Polydorus, yes the result is the same for both outlets, the generator has an output gauge that reads zero.
If the engine runs OK and there is no power I guess that pretty well isolates the problem to the generator. Can you tell if the generator is turning? My Coleman has some air vents where that might be possible. I'm not sure how the engine hooks up to the generator but it could be a coupling failure. If it is turning when the engine is running looking for external circuit breakers or fuses. IIRC mine has two circuit breakers.

Old 03-18-06, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will find some time and do some testing. After I get totally frustrated I will drop it off to my local tool repair guy.

Old 07-08-07, 03:22 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Homelite Generator

A neighbor dropped off a Homelite Briggs powered generator that didnt run. I got the engine running but not without disconnecting a small connector to a small light mounted on the side of the engine that I think is supposed to indicate that the generator is "on" If I disconnect the light, the engine will start and run. Connect the light and it stops. The Homelite numbers are LR4400 UTR03781-A . The Briggs numbers are 19E400

Any clues?