Replaced tire on Suz. JR50; now chain popping

Old 03-22-06, 06:21 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replaced tire on Suz. JR50; now chain popping

I just replaced the rear tire on my son's Suzuki JR50 and got the wheel back on, but now I can't seem to tighten the chain adjuster on left and right of rear wheel just right. The chain seems to "skip" or "pop" every so many turns which I assumed means it's still outta balance or alignment. Any advice on how to get it lined back up and get the chain tension just right would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-06, 07:31 PM
M
I'm no motorcycle mechanic, but have worked with lots of roller chain. I'm guessing the chain is worn out which increases the distance between chain pins. This will make chain try to climb up sprocket teeth. Make sure wheel is centered in frame and increase or decrease slack in chain to see if this will help.Maybe some of our MC mech. here can help.
Mike

Old 03-23-06, 10:43 AM
E
thanks for the info. i think maybe i'll just try getting a new chain since the current one is probably the original from '79.

Old 03-25-06, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have a really old Yamaha with a poping chain. In addition to a warn chain the sprockets are worn.

The teeth on a good sproket should have broad teeth that have almost vertical sides at the bottom (like a "U") and start to come to a point about half way up. The space between the teeth should have a nice round shape at the bootm. A worn sprocket has teeth that angle all the way from the bottom up to a sharp point making more of a "V" shape and you may see that the bottom between the teeth has gotten wider.

Old 03-25-06, 01:48 PM
E
It looks like both sprockets are a little worn, but I noticed that the main drive sprocket seems pretty loose when I took the chain off. There's a little retainer clip on the end of the sprocket drive shaft, but the sprocket was a little wobbly on the drive shaft and was able to slide back and forth on it about 1 cm between the transmission housing and the little retainer clip. I dunno, but it seems like it should have something else (maybe some sort of spacer) keeping it pretty tight on the sprocket shaft.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question