Weed eater motor for mini go cart?

Old 04-26-06, 02:57 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Weed eater motor for mini go cart?

My son has a "Razor Ground Force CT201" electric mini go cart with a blown control module. So, just for grins and giggles I have been toying around with the idea of putting a McCullough weedeater engine in place of the electric 24 volt motor. I have already built a bracket for the motor and have it sitting on the cart. But...before I go any further and mess up the chances of being able to put the electric motor back in....is the weedeater engine up to the task of moving this thing. The cart used to roll out at 12-15 mph. Will the gas powered motor work or leave him sitting there with a 'if looks could kill' look? I can but the control module for about $25 but I thought this would be kinda cool for him and he is only 6 at the time. I figured he could keep using the cart for a few more years with the gas powered set up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-06, 03:07 PM
tae
if its at least 22 cc it should move it. you may have to change the gears a little to get the performance you want. You may want to look into a heavy duty clutch also.

Old 04-26-06, 05:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
The electric motor can make strong torque for starting out and can wind up for medium speeds so it would be a good choice if it were not for the batteries.

Your little 2-stroke will not have much torque to get you going but could have a higher top end. As tae mentioned you may need some reduction from the engine to the drive wheel. You will also need a centrifugal clutch since you will be slipping the clutch every time you start moving.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 04-26-06 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-30-08, 12:07 PM
E
Smile I have a RAZOR GROUND FORCE MINI GO-CART

I replaced the regular 24 volt motor with a 25cc weed-eater engine. I believe my gear ration is not correct with the original chain and sprockets the go-cart came with. Like someone else mentioned there is not enough torque to get a quick take off or with someone heavier. The centrifugal clutch that the engine comes with is not strong enough either so you have to modify it or get a heavier one. Also the the bushing on it is wearing extremely fast since the chain pulls down on it when there is torque applied to it so i have to figure out how to support the outside end of the clutch so the chain don't pull to hard on it.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-30-08 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Email address not allowed.