Trailer tires...

Old 05-19-06, 08:20 AM
G
gsr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer tires...

Not sure where to post this so I'll start here where people probably use utility trailers...

I inherited a small utility trailer to haul my tractor around, it needs new tires, I noticed the two tires are radial trailer tires and the spare is a bias-ply. The trailer is rated to 2000 lbs, most of it's use will be sitting in the garage, short trips around town and maybe couple 300 mile trips.

Which would be better radial tires or bias-ply?
The size is ST175/80/13 C-range.

Moderators please move if you think there's a better fit for it.

Old 05-20-06, 09:18 AM
J
Hi, If the trailer was used off road {Constuction} use I would go with a bias ply. For long highway trip I would go with a radial.
They run alot cooler on the highway.
Best regards, Jeff Z.

Old 05-20-06, 12:09 PM
M
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Bob

What Jeff says is a pretty good measure to go by. Off road stuff is more likely to get sidewall punctures. The bias tire stands up straighter with a flatter vertical sidewall. Radials on the other hand "belly out", so the sidewalls are more exposed to puncture agents.

Radials are a better road tire for a number of reasons, but you can expect more side sway with a radial versus a bias ply in the lower air pressure tires.

In your case, though, one or the other isn't as important as getting the same tire for a spare as you have on the trailer. You definitely would not want to run the two types opposite each other on a trailer.

Hope this helps

Old 05-22-06, 07:43 AM
G
gsr
Thanks

Sounds like for my uses either style will work just fine. I'll go check out my options and prices at the local tire stores. Right now the Bias tire is worthless and 1 of the two radials is bad, depending on price I'll probably keep the decent radial as a spare and buy two new radials. If I can buy 3 bias for the price of two radial then I'll probably do that.

Old 05-22-06, 08:02 AM
M
My guess is you are going to find out that radials are a lot less than bias, because not too many places stock bias anymore. Check to see if you have a custom trailer sales place in your area, and it just may be cheaper for you. We deal with a place called "Hitchman" here in Canada, and he stocks so much of this stuff, that we can buy a new tire & rim from him, cheaper than our tire suppliers can sell us a trailer tire. Look for "ST" on tire, which indicates for trailer use. (eg; ST185/R14) The ST may not be mandatory in your area, but it is designed specifically for trailer use.
Good Luck

Old 05-22-06, 05:27 PM
H
I haul large horse trailers and mid-sized 4 wheeler trailers. I like the siffness of the sidewalls on the bias ply myself. They do not tend to ride as smoothly as the radial after they have made a few long hauls. I tend to haul a bit faster than most and the radials seem to have less "squirrel", side to side...

Like some have said, if you do have issues on the road it is easier to find a radial than a bias. Keep a good spare.

Just my 2 cents...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question