Go Kart Questions

Old 05-24-06, 11:51 AM
Go Kart Questions

Hey guys,
Just this weekend, I bought a used go kart that says trailcat on it and the guy i bought it from said it had a 5hp briggs and stratton engine. I found 3 things on the engine: Model is 136212; Type is 0026 01; Code is 961026Y8. Here are a few questions that i have:

1.I can tell that it has a governor on it. How do i take it off?

2.I can start it but it takes a while. Any ideas on how to make it start easier?

3.The seat needs to be replaced. Anyone have plans or a site to where i can buy or make a seat inexpensively (under $20 preferrably)?

4.Other than taking the governor off, is there an inexpensive way to make it run faster?

5.I'm going to repaint it so what kind of paint should i use?

This is my first kart and i'm looking forward to having it running well.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-06, 06:58 AM
Hi, In regards to the governor I would leave it hooked up. If you over rev these small engines without doing alot of work on them they usually have valve problems {Floating} and other problems that will cause them to fail.

Hard starting Briggs engines are nothing new. Most of the time hard starting is caused by too much air and not enough fuel. Clean the carburetor and make sure the choke is closing all the way. I have some Briggs engines that get too much air even with the choke closed because of the small air holes they put in the choke plate. Block the small holes in the choke plate if it has them . That helped two of my engines. They start on the first pull.

Search Google {Go Kart Seat}
Ebay too. There are seats on ebay starting at $5.00.

To increase speed make the sprocket on the axle smaller and if it has a centrifugal clutch with a chain drive find a clutch with one or two more teeth on it. You will pick up speed and loose a little power on the low end side.

For paint an acrylic enamel should work fine for this project.

Best regards, Jeff Z.

Last edited by Jeff Z; 05-25-06 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 09:34 PM
tae
Old 05-26-06, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Removing the govenor will make your cart faster but it comes at a price. At 3'600 max rpm your engine will probably last for years. Remove the govenor and you've got a 50/50 chance that the connecting rod will break every time you go over 7'000 rpm.

Changing your sprockets will affect both top speed and acceleration. Going to a lower ratio (bigger sprocket on engine or smaller on axel) will increase your top speed but your acceleration and hill climbing will suffer. A higher ratio (smaller on the engine or bigger sprocket on axel) will give you better acceleration, lugging and hill climbing but you will loose top end.

There is no magic bullet to go faster with no cost.

Old 05-26-06, 09:08 PM
Its not new with other briggs, but the horizontal shaft engines can take a few pulls to start, especially if it sat a while.... I would first do a carb rebuild also, tear it down, soak it in carb cleaner for a few hours, and blow it out with compressed air through any and all holes. And get a new diapragm to put in it. Make sure to clean the pickup tubes at the end, don't remove that mesh screen on them.

DO NOT tamper with the governor...., or you do have a good chance of grenading the engine internally... externally the steel flywheels can take the rpms, but if any chance it has a cast aluminum one, they can fly apart. If your going to paint it, use a high heat capable paint on the engine.
Replace the air filter if it looks dirty, and of course change the oil every 25 hours and check it often. You can use a good name brand HD-30 above 40 degrees F. Use a 5w-30 or 10w-30 below 40. OR just use a synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30 all year round.

Old 06-14-06, 10:57 AM
Hmmmm....

Like I said, this is my first kart and I know absolutely nothing about taking apart an engine. Ya'll have said things about taking the carb out and cleaning it. Could you please tell me how to take it off. Also, I don't know about the names of many parts. I am a beginner and am not recieving info that can help me. thanks

Old 06-14-06, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
I am too lazy to look it up. Is the fuel tank right underneath the carb on your engine (is the carb bolted right to the top of the fuel tank)?

Old 07-02-06, 10:24 PM
The maximum governor rpm`s on all small engines is 3600 rpm`s. exceeding the max, governor speed will guarantee the rod will be thrown through the side of the block. There is no question about it.
Behind the governor control panel below the tank. You can bend the lever (where the spring connects to the panel) down to incease the rpm`s , just be careful and don`t over do it.

Old 07-13-06, 11:43 PM
I played with the little lewver on the side of the block. I had an older Briggs and straton 11hp riding lawn mower. I gave it hell with that lever. I did everything with the mower ( i was 13 and couldnt drive lol) I jumped it and broke my wrist. But besides the point. The lever thing will eventually seize up your engine. I did it to two briggs and straton engines. one 11hp and one 17.5hp i think.. Itll last a while. but i wouldnt push it to much or itll go all up in smoke.

Old 09-15-06, 10:19 PM
got any pics of the lever, i have no clue as to where it might be (im 13 and haven't had a gokart or anything, this is my first)

Old 07-25-08, 06:00 PM
Exclamation Governor Removal

The governor lever is underneath the gas tank and above the flywheel. There is a rod that goes from the lever to the carb. You do not want to mess with this. The second attachment is a spring that goes from the governor lever to throttle. I took this off and bent the end to make it shorter. This forces the motor into higher rpms and it shortens the response time. If you choose to bend the spring, do so carefully. You will notice that it is very thin metal, so be careful. After bending I re-attached it to the throttle. Now the motor runs 10x as fast with little work. As the other posts have said, messing with the governor will hurt your engine, so only surpass the 3600 rpms for short bursts.

Old 09-16-08, 01:34 PM
I have a 9 horsepower tecumseh kart. its a two seater( rather heavy). the brakes are a disk brake caliper assembly. i replaced the pads, but cannot get a decent pedal when braking. the brake line is an enclosed cable connected between the brake pedal and the arm of the brake caliper. adjustment of the line only seems to move the exterior casement and doesnt actually shorten the cable to tighten the braking. any tips on slowing this Kenbar Gokart down. I've thought about looking for other means of braking such as an aftermarket assembly or even drastic change to a hydraulic set up from say a junk motorcycle. Need some advice and looks like some sharp opinions on this thread. Thanks

Old 09-16-08, 07:08 PM
i admire your ambition. do yourself a favor and pick up a service manual for your motor. read it and then start examining the engine. you'll catch on quickly. pay attention to specifications such as torque values, valve clearances, etc.
remember, the last person to take advise from is one of your friends that does not own a cart. enjoy the ride. Beer 4U2

Old 09-18-08, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
I have a 9 horsepower tecumseh kart. its a two seater( rather heavy). the brakes are a disk brake caliper assembly. i replaced the pads, but cannot get a decent pedal when braking. the brake line is an enclosed cable connected between the brake pedal and the arm of the brake caliper. adjustment of the line only seems to move the exterior casement and doesnt actually shorten the cable to tighten the braking. any tips on slowing this Kenbar Gokart down. I've thought about looking for other means of braking such as an aftermarket assembly or even drastic change to a hydraulic set up from say a junk motorcycle. Need some advice and looks like some sharp opinions on this thread. Thanks

Thunderbolt: You placed your question inside a thread that has been "dead" for two years so you will get very little attention. Create a new thread and give it a relavent title like "adjusting go cart brakes" and I am sure you will get some help.